Sunday, September 21, 2008

Efficiency

She lives! I nearly broke the one month of no posting rule there! Since my run at Noosa I spent two weeks coughing and spluttering with the cold or flu bug that everyone seems to have had this winter. Fortunately, it didn't start until the day after Noosa :) But it did take 2 weeks to get over.

I then did a relatively easy week to try and ease back into training and had a couple of runs that were a real struggle. Last week I started a 12 week 10km training programme based on the Run Less Run Faster methodology. Phew, it's a tough programme but I'm hoping for good results on less training and less injuries.. The times prescribed are based on the Noosa 10km time and seem a bit tough at the moment, but I am just doing what I can to edge towards them.

This week looked like this:

Mon: 45 mins exercise bike
Tues: Rest day, and tortured by Tiger
Weds: 6 x400s in 2.10, which I managed to do with quite even pacing.
Thurs: 30 mins swimming
Fri: Tempo run - total of 8km with 4.8km at 6min pace (v. hard as it was in the evening and a bit warm, but I made it)
Sat: Gym workout
Sun: 10km at 6.20 pace (managed 6.23 pace)

I feel pretty good after the first week, although it was a bit tough this morning, but not as tough as it looked for some of the people at the back of the Sydney marathon pack. I had an efficient morning of running around Centennial Park and therefore being able to cheer at the same time, and watch the new Qantas SuperJet arrive in Sydney.. not a bad morning's work!

This week is a similar type of programme and I like the fact that I get to do some other forms of exercise as well as running.. a bit of variety.

Mon: Swim 30 mins
Tues: 5 x 800s
Weds: Rest day - off to Melbourne
Thurs: Tempo 2 x 3.2 at 6min pace with 1.6kms recovery
Fri: Rest day
Sat: 11kms
Sun: Bike and rowing plus gym

Hope the rest of you are going well. I still have limited internet access although I've now managed to get a 3G card from work but some sites, like bloglines are banned so a bit tricky to keep up with everyone! Only a few weeks before we are back in the Bronte Palace, which is beginning to look very smart.

4 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

You're lucky Lulu - I turf out blogs that go 'missing' for over a month - that's what happened to Miners!

That program should suit you. The 400s were sub 5:30/km pace - very speedy. Good luck with the coming week.

Have you tried 'Googlereader' for blogs? I guess when you're back in Bronte palace all will be back to normal.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Ewens a hard task master isn't he?
I suppose when you have so many people reading your blog you can afford to lose a few. As for me I still have people on my "bloglines" feed that last posted in the height of John Howard's reign ;)

Glad to hear from you and see that you'll be back and settled in soon enough.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Variety rocks - and it works for me. I'm sure it will work for you too.

Shame I will miss the housewarming party for the new look Bronte Palace :-(

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Sorry your pressy from Qld was germs :( I had a similar thing, so annoying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home