Sunday, June 22, 2008

Night and Day

I have been visiting Centennial Park at all hours of the early morning (night) and not so early morning (day) for my last two runs.

As per the plan I met up with Ellie again on Friday morning in the cold and dark and we did a 10 min warm up and then 15 mins of fartlek with 30secs hardish and 1 min recovery. Nothing too serious but at least it got us moving and on the path to a return to some more serious speedwork. According to Garth the Garmin our speedy bits were at 5.12 pace but he did lose signal a few times so it may not be true. We then had to plod up to the Paddington Gates which was quite torturous after the fartlek.

Today, we actually got to run in daylight and it was a nice cool sunny morning too, with a big moon still hanging in the sky. An outside loop plus a loop of CP plus a loop of the Golf course was the plan. It's a long time since I've done that course; probably over a year. My intention was to do 10km just to check I could before I decide if I'm going to do the 10km at the Gold Coast.

All went very well up to about 7kms, when the lack of miles in my legs started to show. My legs just started feeling fatigued. I decided that instead of slowing down I'd actually speed up instead and that helped a bit as it feels like a more natural pace and so the last few kms were close to 6 min pace. I was very pleased when the 10km ticked over and I could stop. At least I know I can make the distance now and assuming I feel OK on the day I'll give it a go.

This week's plan is similar:
Mon: Glute Torturer
Tues: Easy Tiger and rest day
Weds: Run 45mins
Thurs: Spin class and gym
Fri: Run - 40 mins with some fartlek
Sat: Crazy Ab Lady
Sun: 70 mins

6 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

You'll be fine for GC Lulu - with the excitement of the race and a flat course, you'll be flying!

5:12s sounds right - very speedy.

By the way, it may be dark that time of the morning in Sydney, but it's never cold :)

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Great to have you back blogging & running consistently Lulu!

You'll be fine at GCM Lulu - with none of those nasty CP hills, you'll fly :-)

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger running uphill said...

Glad to hear your running is going so well. Good luck with the 10k.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey Lulu

the 10K sounds just the ticket for you at this stage. I guess it will be perfect weather as it usually is at that time of year there.

Have a great race! Is Mr Lulu going to run there as well?

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger strewth said...

Hey Lulu - how exciting to know you'll be at the GC. You'll do well in the 10km. We'll be there for a few days so we should finally be able to have a catch up coffee!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Black Knight said...

You will run a great 10k, I am sure. 5.12 is a good pace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home