Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Interesting intervals

I thought today I would try and revive the interval training I had been doing before my feet started playing up. I ran up that same old hill to New South Head Rd again and into Christenson Park.

I started with a few drills and then decided to try and do 1 min intervals. However, after two I was already struggling so I downgraded to 30 sec with a minute's rest. It was still a stuggle today and one of my quads started to feel like it was strained so I pulled the pin after 5 and ran back home, for a total of about 5km. It was a struggle from the start today and yesterday I felt dreadful for most of the day, so I think I'm back in one of my fatigued states which I'm hoping won't last too long.

I'll have to review the intervals as it definitely seems to increase the risk of niggles, so perhaps it's safer to stick to fartlek and long runs for now.

3 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Check your diet Lulu, perhaps you were a few carbs short. Sometimes when I have sessions like that it's because I didn't have my rice the night before.

Also it's Ok to start slow just keep adding to those intervals, you know progression is the key.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Protein also helps - I've been told Scott has black fish with his rice.

Serious stuff now... Older people (e.g, me), need to warm-up well for short intervals. I start with strides - first of them are only 10k race-pace, then gradually increase the speed of each one - plenty of rest between - so 4 or 5 strides.

Then, run the 30secs fast, but with good form (use a jog/running start). Have full recoveries between them (more than a minute). Be happy with 3 or 4 initially. 45secs is probably long enough for 'speed' intervals. 10k race-pace type intervals can be much longer.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Ewen sounds like he knows what he is talking about ... probably because he does. I'm sure if you follow his advice you will be laughing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home