Tuesday, January 08, 2008

A new year, a new approach

Happy New Year to the blogging team. I collapsed in a heap when the Christmas holidays started but now I'm back at work I'm back into blogging. I did manage to keep up the training though, despite finding it very tough for a week or so.

Now, what's this new approach? Well, both Easy Tiger and the Glute Torturer have advised that before I start putting in too many kms, I need to learn to run a bit faster. I've always been a plodder and they both think that has been part of the problem in terms of injuries. Too long on the ground on each stride, time for the glutes to switch off and then problems occur.

So for the last few weeks I have been doing mainly shorter runs, either interval training or fartlek. It's an interesting experiment and is a bit counter intuitive because we associate speed work with injury but so far I have to say I feel really good. It's much easier to hold good form when I'm running a bit faster and I stop as soon as I get fatigued and don't think I can hold my form any more. My fartlek includes some walk breaks to regain my form.

I had an opportunity to try out whether this was actually getting me fitter as well when I went for a run with Ellie last week. Ellie had 40 mins on her programme so that's what we did and I was pleased to see that I managed the 40 mins non-stop quite comfortably and it's the longest run I've done for about 6 months. So I'll continue with the experiment for a while. Doing it the traditional lots of LSD approach first seems to result in injury so I have nothing to lose in trying something a bit different this time.

So, my week this week looks like this:
Mon: gym with the glute torturer
Tues: interval 10 min w/u, 6 x 30sec intervals with 1.30 recovery, 5 mins warm down
Weds: 40 mins fartlek
Thurs: Gym
Fri: As Tues but 8 intervals
Sat: Gym
Sun: 45 mins Fartlek

8 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Blogger running uphill said...

The new approach sounds interesting to a fellow 'plodder'. I am keen to know how you get on. Good luck.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Belated happy new year to you Lulu. It sounds like you could be on to something there with your running, perhaps I ought to give it a whirl? I seem to be slack and doing the same short route all the time so I could at least try and speed it up!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

you are doing fantastically - it is obviously working for you!! keep up the good work! can't wait to run together again soon - but you might have to slow down for me!!!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger speedygeoff said...

"Too long on the ground". Exactly. You must learn to fly, dear Lulu. And honk like a goose, too.

Happy soaring.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

"Easy Tiger and the Glute Torturer"
obviously know what they are doing.

I could see how running faster might help. Let us know how it goes cause if it works for you I might try it too ;)

Happy New Year, Lulu.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

That could be a good approach Lulu - worth trying. Shorter, faster runs don't necessarily result in injuries as long as you build into them.

With fartlek, I'd suggest accelerating gradually to top speed for the fast bits. Also, think about '3 steps per second' - I thought spodychoff would have suggested that as a way to ward off ploddiness.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Welcome back - you've been missed :-)

Ah, interestingly ET has made a similiar comment to me in passing lately. He told me to focus on 'driving' my legs up when running. Amazing how the pace picks up quickly.

Looking forward to following the experiment.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Thinking about that approach it sure makes sense. We'll all be watching with interest to see how it goes.

Oh, and if I haven't said it already ... Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home