Sunday, December 16, 2007

Almost a runner again

I feel like I'm almost a runner again now as I've done my four runs again this week, plus been to CR drinks and helped out at the SMC race this morning.

Good lulu has been in charge again this week and the only session I missed was Tuesday pm intervals in the pool.

The visit to Brad was interesting. He hasn't watched me run for a few weeks so I was interested to see what happened when I hopped on the treadmill. Apart from huffing and puffing a couple of other interesting things were obvious. I'm still dropping my hip mid stride on both sides, so my glutes are not firing at the right time. They're nice and strong thanks to the glute torturer but need to work on timing. I concentrated on that Friday and today and think I'm getting there but need to see it on the video to know if what I think is working, actually is. I'm also not using my right hamstring much and so my kick up on the right is much lower than the left. I probably learned to run like that when I had problems with my hamstring last year. Something else to think about....who would have thought running could be so complicated!

I (wo-)manned a drink station out at SMC today and it was really great to catch up with everyone. Mr lulu did his first race since August and was tad slow at 40.25 but he will soon get his race fitness back. It was great to see Go Girl run her first 10km under 45 mins, Sara go close to a PB and Ellie return to racing.

I did my own little 5km run once I got home and it was hard work. It took me 33 mins to do 5km and I had a couple of walk breaks in the middle as I unintentionally started out a bit fast... turns out if you use your hamstrings and glutes you actually go faster!

Another busy week of travelling and Christmas events this week but I intend to keep up the good work.

So, the plan is:

Mon: Gym with the glute torturer
Tues: 30 min run and a massage
Weds: run (warm up, drills and some strides)
Thurs: Crazy ab lady homework (have to go to Brissie)
Fri: 30 min run and gym workout
Sat: Crazy ab lady
Sun: 35 min run, 25 min walk

11 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

There is no almost about it young lady :)

thank you for a lovely morning!

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Repeat after me: I am a runner :-)

I need to go back to see Brad too - it is really hard to tell if your glutes are working without that video 'experience' !

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Yeeeees you are a runner!

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Have a good Christmas Lulu. All the best to you and Mr Lulu. Enjoy the summer there.

Also good luck with getting back into some sort of running shape. I'm still on for Canberra so looking forward to getting a bit fitter myself over the next few months.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

That's terrible! (not you. Me.) I tried to thank all the vollies on the drinks tables, and I didn't even notice that one of them was you. Sorry if I ignored you :-(

Good to hear that you're using those nice new super-glutes - it'd be a terrible waste to fix 'em all up and then not fire them correctly :-)

Gnome

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger running uphill said...

Yes - running sure does sound complicated. Think I'd rather run in ignorance (but if it all helps to keep you injury free then it's worth it and even more so if it makes you faster).

Have a good Chrissy!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Gronk said...

Great to see you're out and about Lulu. Hope you have a great Xmas !

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, so much to think about alright. I reckon I'd end up flat on my face on the treddy if I had to concentrate like that.

Good to see its working for you!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

None of this 'almost a runner' stuff Lulu! Once a runner, always a runner!

Running is simple and complicated at the same time - especially with the search for perfect form. Good luck with ordering those glutes to fire equally. Have a good week!

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

All the very best in running (& life!) for 2008, Lulu & Mr Lulu.

And you definitely are a runner!

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Hey lovely

I hope you & WTR had a lovely Christmas & New Years in the circumstances. I'm sure it was hard for you.

How about an update lovey?

J x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home