Monday, September 03, 2007

So much for that...

Thanks Scott for the reminder to get on with more regular posting. I do have a good excuse though, in fact several. 1) I have covered most of Australia since I last posted visiting Melbourne, Naracoorte SA, Roma and Brisbane and 2) I haven't done much to blog about.

In fact, I have suffered a minor set back; back being the operative word. After getting the sign off from Brad the physio to up my running I promptly did as I was told. 15 minutes on the treadie at the Hilton in Melbourne and things were feeling reasonable, 16 minutes and a few niggles started appearing down in the special place so I walked a bit and then started again. Managed a total of 20 mins.

Then on my next attempt at 20 mins I felt pretty good but noticed that my back was starting to niggle in the lower part. By the middle of last week when I attempted to run it started to hurt pretty much immediately and after a day on my feet my whole back was sore. This is how the whole injury saga started earlier this year so I decided a strategic withdrawal and visit to Brad was called for.

I spent 30 mins on the physio bench this morning while Brad sorted it out. He was his typical reassuringly calm and lovely self and told me not to panic, annoying but not serious was the verdict. It all stems from the same problem and the lack of stability in my hip region means that one of my discs at L5S1 has become a bit irritated. It's been pummelled and dry needled and is now strapped up to give it some stability while it settles. Three days on Vitamin V-oltaren should help with that. Hopefully, a short run will be OK in a day or two.

So that's the update. I was pretty slack while I was away and managed to acquire an extra kilo as well as a sore back so I'm dealing with that and trying to get back into some serious cross training. I'm beginning to realise how much I rely on being able to run to compensate for eating, and drinking!

So far I did a GRC Pilates class with Running Angel yesterday, an interval session on the bike and a strength session with the Glute Torturer today so I've got the week off to a good start.. now to keep it like that :)

6 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger 2P said...

I've heard about girls with loose hips ;-p

Hope the recovery goes well Lulu.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Oh no, hope the back thing sorts itself out quick smart.

Hope you enjoyed Brissie!

PS We MUST catch up for coffee soon!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Backs can be buggers of things. I hope it settles down so you can support your drinking and eating habit by running ;)

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

what a pain!!! (no pun intended)

sorry to hear it and I will debrief with you later :)

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

I know what you mean with this comment Lulu: "I'm beginning to realise how much I rely on being able to run to compensate for eating, and drinking!" I can put on 4kgs in two weeks easy if I don't run.

Hope that hip sorts itself out shortly.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Black Knight said...

I am sure you will recover very soon. The running world needs you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home