Monday, July 30, 2007

A dog's breakfast

Just back from the physio, so time for a quick update. First, the good news! I ran for five minutes on the treadmill and it all felt fine. No knee pain and no hip pain. The bad news is after analysing my running style he told me I had one of the strangest little running quirks he'd ever seen... I'm certainly original!

Apparently, my foot placement is crossing over the mid line. So, basically I'm putting my foot down across my body, then in order to make room for my back leg to come through, I'm pushing my hip out and bowing my upper leg......this obviously puts quite a bit of strain on the hip. I'm amazed that with all the people who have watched me run over the last few years, that none of them has picked it up.

On my five minutes he made me focus on foot placement and it definitely stopped the hip movement so that's good. Hard to get it in the right place though and at first I went too far the other way and looked like a duck waddling!

The other thing that he picked up is that I am dropping my hip mid stride, not when the foot lands but as I bring the other leg through. Apparently, I was still doing this even with the correct foot placement. Still some work to do there.

I've also had an x-ray on my hip to see if I have any actual hip development issues that weren't picked up as a child; possible hip dysplasia. He wants to check that it is not the reason why I developed this strange running gait. He's pretty confident it's not as I could correct it by changing the foot placement, but better to be safe than sorry. More common in dogs I discovered on my internet research!

I'm hoping that it's not that, as it would mean I'd only ever be able to do limited running, or run the risk of developing early arthritis, hip replacements etc. I'll get the results later in the week. In the meantime, if I don't get any reaction to running for five minutes he wants me to do a short 5 min blast on the treadmill every day or so and practice the new foot placement.

I've got to say that 5 minutes on the treadie felt great, although I felt incredibly unfit! Fingers crossed for good news later in the week!

10 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

You ran - yay!

Maybe BB can get you a new hip now...that way you can start a fresh ;)

Great to see that you are making some progress

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

Good Luck Lulu. I've seen lots of Golden Retrievers with hip dysplasia but no humans yet. I hope your new running 'style' helps!

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger strewth said...

A very very belated happy birthday Lulu and a great big thank you for recommending that absolutely fabulous walk to Oia - the best day ever - wow!! Now best of luck with your return to running.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds like a pretty positive experience all-in-all. You ran, he saw and you'll conquer!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Celeste said...

Well it sounds like everything is going well! I've often wondered if I should get someone to look at my running too - maybe all my problems could be fixed by simply putting my foot down in a different position!!!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

That all sounds so much more positive than last time - Yah!

Now just don't copy the wrist ;-).

TA

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

You're not original Lulu. We had an elite teenage middle distance runner who did the same thing. She was able to re-learn the patterning and make it less of a problem.

Good luck for the good news!

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Great news Lulu. Hopefully I can follow in your footsteps (though not with that funky hip thing you do) very soon ;-)

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Please accept another belated happy birthday. I think that the good news are two: 1st you ran and 2nd you are original!!!!!!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger running uphill said...

Great to hear you are getting somewhere Lulu.I thought running was just something we were designed to do and that our bodies would know how to do it! Hope the new gait brings some running joy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home