Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Gimme five

Off to SWEAT this morning and my legs feel great after my monday massage with ET. No ill effects from the 8km race or the higher intensity week last week.

Very dark and chilly down at the park and it was only just getting light when we started the drills. Then it was into the fartlek. I had five laps of the 1km loop, surging on the blue cones and floating on the yellow. There seemed to be a lot more blue than yellow I thought as I went around the first one. On the second lap I realised I'd missed one of the yellows on the first lap which accounted for why I seemed to be surging for a long time!

On the third lap I could see one of the other girls ahead who had gone out too hard and she was flagging a bit, so I set my sights on her. She tried to fight back on one of the surges but I picked up the pace enough to drop her off the back... nearly died myself in the process! Anyway she still hung on for another .5km before I could finally shake her off. I think it was when I started speaking to her that she lost heart and gave up... how cruel! Very good effort on her part and made me work for it.

Mr lulu came back to run the last 500m with me and that seemed to make it easier, although he wasn't letting me slack off on the floats.

Finished 5km in 29.03 with 1km splits of 5.45, 5.52, 5.34 (where I was racing the other girl), 5.50, 5.47. Actually really pleased with that I as didn't really drop off much over the 5km.

A warm-down lap with Zoe for a total of 8km and then home to warm up... it's a chilly 9 degrees here this morning. That's getting a bit chilly for us soft Sydneysiders.

5 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger Celeste said...

Man I'm hearing you about the COLD!! It's positively beanie weather over here in Perth.

That 5km time looks very impressive to me!

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Celeste said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger running uphill said...

Nice times Lulu. Glad to hear that you hung in there.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

I think it was when I started speaking to her that she lost heart and gave up... how cruel!

So what did you say to her? You didn't use a few old Muhammad Ali quotes did you?

"What's my name, fool, what's my name!?"

Or

"Is that all you got George!"

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Hey! Who are you and what have you done with nice Lulu... :-)

Excellent times and excellent consistency.

Gnome

 

Post a Comment

<< Home