Sunday, June 03, 2007

More HHH

I received a revised programme from Sean at the end of the week and he had put me down for the MS 8km fun run on Sunday. I decided it was about time I started doing what I was told now I am relatively niggle free so I called on my trusty buddy Running Angel to keep me company.

I did a short 28 mins (that's what the programme said) around Queen's Park and felt really tired and fatigued again. Fortunately, this morning I felt a bit more energetic.

I picked up RA and we parked the car in Mr lulu's car space in the city and then headed up to the bridge. On the way to the bridge we came across someone's wallet on the street so a quick debate on what to do with it and I ran back to the car and left it there for us to deal with later.

Up onto the bridge for our warm-up jog to the start. We did the registration, caught up with Belinda and Horrie and some other people we knew and did a bit more warming up. We even did the aerobics to keep warm!

Then we were herded to the start where unfortunately we ended up pretty near the back of the pack. Consequently, we were held up near the start with all the people and at about 3kms were held up at the stairs, coming to a standstill for a bit.

Once up those stairs we were able to run pretty freely and kept a good steady pace. The hills seemed pretty endless, every corner we went round there was another one.. but it was all good training I kept telling myself. I was plodding up the hills but trying to make up some time on the downhills.

After the turnaround there were more hills and on the last major one I confess I had to walk for a 100 metres or so.. I was over those hills :) After that it was mainly downhill with a few smaller hills and then back along the water front to the finish. At this point I was given a stern talking to by RA who insisted on the sprint finish which we just about managed, to cross the line in 51.12 by my watch. So not breaking any records today but I had a few goals for this race: to have a good solid hit-out, and to not put myself under pressure to run a certain time, and to not break anything. It looks like I achieved all three of those so I'm a pretty happy Lulu this afternoon.

Our cool down run was back over the bridge back to the car. Sean will be impressed, a warm up and a cool down, we're practically professionals these days:)

A quick debate on the wallet and we decided to go to Mosman and deliver it to the young man's house. A very nice house it was too, clearly the parent's house and we wondered if we might get a substantial reward. Actually all we got was the brother who looked unimpressed, called his brother an idiot, said thanks and shut the door in our faces. Mind you we weren't a particularly pretty sight by this stage!

A good solid week of training this week doing about 41 kms so I'm pretty happy with that. If I can keep up that and build it back up to 50kms then I might actually get somewhere.

I've put together my race/TT schedule for the next few months as follows:

9th June Sydney park X country 7.5km
30th June CR 5km challenge
7th July Striders 10km
28th July CR 5km challenge
12th August City to Surf 14km
25th August Sutherland 10km
30th Sept Cancer Research 10km at Hampton Court UK, OR
7th Oct Cancer Research 10km at Beaulieu (nr my parents house)

Let's just hope I can make it through that lot without breakages :)

7 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo! Well done Lulu - so pleased to see that you achieve your goals for the day. Hope the recovery goes well !

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey Lulu

You know you are going to "get somewhere" with that commitment and that build up. Keep up achieving your daily goals.

Like that episode with the lost and found wallet you might not always get the instant appreciation or rewards but all good acts are rewarded at some stage and in someway!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

You are practically professionals! Sean should be happy.

Glad you had a good race Lulu - sounds like it was pretty congested.

I like the racing schedule. Four chances to run 50-something! Nothing like racing to get you fit for racing :)

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Nice race schedule. Looks like we'll be seeing a bit of each other over this season :-)

Gnome

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

What a mean coach making you do such a tough race ;-)

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Well done, you cannot waste your strenght and energy breaking a record one week before the race.
Nice race schedule!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Good on you Louise! Nice to see no breaks :-) Ray said it looked like a very hilly course...he covered part of it on his long sunday run!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home