Monday, July 02, 2007

Not a good start to the week

I've just been to the physio as my leg issues haven't really improved that much. Thinking that it was going to be something relatively simple I was fairly optimistic. Well it's good to be optimistic, but then I was brought down to earth with a crash. He suspects a tear in the labra cartiledge around the hip joint. It's hard to diagnose but that's what we're treating at the moment and we'll see how it responds. Minimum of 6 weeks off running to allow it time to settle plus copious amounts of stretching and some more exercises to do. It's probably caused by my rather stiff hips and I have to do the exercises on both sides.

If it doesn't respond to treatment and I want to run then I will have to consider surgery to tidy it up! I've currently got my glute strapped which is a bit like having a non-surgical butt lift and is an interesting sensation!

I was impressed with the new physio who was a recommendation from Easy Tiger. He was very thorough and went looking for causes rather than just treating the symptoms. He feels that last year's knee injury was probably also caused by the same hip stiffness. Anyway, let's hope that he can get me back on the road without having to resort to surgery, which I would be very unlikely to have.

In the meantime, I'm allowed to swim as much as I like and that was what I as doing at the weekend, plus pilates and weights should be OK. I'm also allowed to try out the bike at the gym and see if that aggravates anything. So, off to the pool for this little duck!

12 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Bugger. The running gods seem to favour some and not others eh Lulu ? We shall not be beaten. LOL

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Sorry to hear that Lulu. Hope you full recover sooner rather than later. Six weeks sounds a lot but if it adds years to your running then it's definitely worth it.

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

The most important thing is NO SURRENDER. Enjoy the swim, the pilates, the bike and everything you like to do. Take care and come back soon to the running world!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

if its any consolation - you are looking absolutely fantastic and it will all make the return to running that much the better. rest up and recuperate and you'll be back stronger than ever!!!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Celeste said...

Surgery!! Crikey I hope not. I agree with Scott - think bigger picture to get you through this.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger running uphill said...

Sorry to hear about another injury Lulu. Hope the six weeks goes quickly and that you enjoy some cross training in the meanwhile.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Ewen said...

Damn! Sorry to hear that Lulu. Leave surgery as a last resort.

I'd suggest (if you're not already) getting onto glucosomine (as big doses as you can handle) a couple of times a day. It's great at building cartiledge. You should feel results after a few weeks.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Good thing that you've still got the pool as an option. 6 weeks will go fast enough, even if it seems that time is dragging at the moment :-)

Gnome

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Lulu, one thing that really impresses me about you is your never say die attitude. It will all pay off one day and you will not only run without injury but for forget how to it!

PS Just think what great core strength you will have after this.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

I meant to say "forget how to SPELL it" :-)

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Horrie said...

That's bad news Lulu. Hope you are on the mend soon and back on the road again.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Hey Lulu, remind me to get Tesso to proof read all my comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home