Thursday, June 07, 2007

Meet Walter

Off to a very dark and damp park this morning for my first encounter with Wild Walter. WW is a 400 metre circuit up and down a hill, with a short recovery in between: up to 10 reps.

Off we went, with the whippets flying up the hill and me tagging along for the ride! Being at the back of the pack meant I had a very short recovery, maybe 25 secs which included having to get back to the start; so really no recovery as I couldn't exactly cruise back to the line. Consequently, the second rep was a bit slower. Sean instructed me to jog out the next one and I was relieved as I could see me getting slower and slower and not having any break at all. In fact this did happen on rep 5 where I didn't quite make it back to the line and had to start and cut across. My legs didn't want to go up the hill at all this time. Good thing I could have another break and rejoin the group for the last one. Times were all over the place with the fastest being 2.07 and the slowest 2.38 with most being around 2.15- 2.20. More work to be done to improve my hill running, but at least I was out there giving it a go.

Sean had me down to do the X country on Saturday but has said that I might need a break this week as I've had a couple of quite hard weeks. I'll see how I and Mr lulu feel on the day. He's currently suffering a nasty head cold so probably won't be racing so we might just pass, and head up to the Blue Mountains a bit earlier than planned.

3 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Repeat after me: hills should be consumed as part of a balanced diet ;-)

What is it with PG girls & their butts at the moment? ;-)

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Sean should have the whippets running longer so you all get the same recovery. Makes it a bloody hard session for you.

Say 'hello' to the tree for me when you're up in the mountains.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't like the sound of WW, especially in the damp & dark! You're very brave to tackle it under those conditions. Don't
let Mr Lulu pass his cold on to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home