Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Give me glutes!

So, where are we up to. Last week was a bit of an up and down week. Early in the week I'd convinced myself I'd never walk without pain again, let alone run, without having surgery and read up on all the horror stories of hip arthroscopies on the internet... always a bad move!

But then I went for my first session with my new trainer who we shall call GT or the Glute Torturer. After a quick assessment of my current status he wrote in his book 'worst glutes I've ever seen' and set about fixing them up. I kid you not, an hour of personal training on the glutes... ouchie, ouchie. But, like a miracle cure I walked out of the gym without a twinge in my groin or knee or anywhere (well apart from the glutes!) And it pretty much stayed that way.

Friday, I had a follow up appointment at the physio who was pleased with the progress and is more confident that it can be fixed without resorting to surgery. He still believes that it's a tear in the labrum but that it may have been there for some time and could have caused some of my other issues. He now has me taping my knee which seems to help reduce pain and things are looking a bit brighter. I have a lot of work to do to get strong enough to run, but at least there is a plan.

I've had another session with the GT today and I can already see a big improvement in my glute strength, so hopefully we can move on to torturing some other muscle groups in due course!

In the meantime, I have been swimming, doing pilates and I tried out a Spin class on Sunday, which I think is going to be OK. If I can Spin then I can maintain some fitness at least. In the meantime, I'm enjoying lying in bed in the warm whilst Mr lulu gets up and ventures into the cold and wet!

And in exciting news from the bathroom scales I am now hovering around 65-65.5kgs and still going down. I've been working really hard on the diet and despite my drop in exercise, it's not been too hard so far. I suspect that as I get down towards my ideal weight that it will become harder. The next goal is 62 kgs and then I'll see how I feel/look at that stage.

Happy running everyone and savour every run; when you can't do it you really miss it... what I'd give for a runners high :)

10 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I'll second that Lulu. Nothing like some time off running to make you truly appreciate the ability to run.

I just did my first physio-ordered exercise session. Oh. My. God. We are gunna have the strongest glutes around very soon ;-)

Congrats on the weightloss. Despite the fact that ET *says* he doesn't notice, he told you were all 'skin & bones" now ;-)

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey Lulu

But taking some time off, whether due to injury or not, is a good thing. Many, including me, have PBed in the months following an extended break.

Wish you continued success with the weight lost. At 62 Kilos you're going to have to run around in the shower to get wet!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Ha ha, the 'worst glutes'. GT is such a flatererererer :)

You may not be able to run but its sort of exciting thinking about all those other exercises and how fit and strong they will make you. And you can do them indoors out of the cold and rain!

PS Well done on the weight loss.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Of course you didn't feel any pain in your knee or groin - it was all blocked by the pain in the glutes... :-)

Keep strengthening. it's amazing what we'll do to get back to running!

Gnome

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

The Glute Torturer! How about some photos from his torture chamber?

It sounds promising Lulu. Unfortunately I can't take a runners' high for you - have had a dose of wildthingitis for the last few days.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger running uphill said...

Good luck with the plan Lulu. Great to hear about the weightloss too (more of a struggle with thyroid issues so well done)!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Bernie G said...

I hope to see you back training soon. After my glute issues earlier this year I know how you are feeling. Keep up the strenght work!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I hear you Lulu!! Nothing like standing around on the side lines feeling fat and cheering every one else on to make you appreciate running! I am thinking my running days are about done for the next 5-6 months. Take care and it sounds like the physio and trainer are looking after you!!! Hopefully we can catch up at a run soon...will you be at the end of city to surf? I will be chief bag carrier this year :-)

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LULU!!!!!

Hope you have a wonderful day.

PS Maybe when you blow out your candles you should wish for some glutes ;-)

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lulu, I can't imagine an hour's work on glutes! Ouchie is right! I hope it all clears up soon...real nuisance, but you're using the time off well at the gym & swimming...and losing weight! Good for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home