Wednesday, August 08, 2007

7.5

7.5 minutes is what I was allowed to run today. Yes, I ran... luluruns is back!

It's going to be a long slow return to running but at least I'm back there putting one foot in front of the other... well not too far across and in front of the other.

I am supposed to do most of my running on the treadmill but today I decided I needed to see what it felt like to be running outside. I walked up the road to Queen's park and then did about 3 laps of the track they've drawn on the oval. Handy as I could make sure I didn't cross my feet across the line by running along one of the lane markings. Felt good, no pain. In fact, I haven't heard a peep out of the troublesome hip and knee for a whole week.

Brad the wonder physio has drawn up a running programme which for this week consists of 7.5 mins, 10 mins, 7.5 mins. I did ask him if that was all on one run, but he was not amused :) Better than nothing though and if I go back gradually perhaps there's less chance of a relapse or other injury.
The hip x-ray came back all clear with Brad declaring the hip joint perfect with great bone density. No way of telling without the MRI if there is a tear in the labrum, but hey we don't care if it don't hurt!

Now I just need by running buddy Ellie back on her feet.. heal up quickly you!

11 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Good news Lulu !

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hehehe love the "is that all in one run" comment! Good to hear your hips are dense. :-S

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Jen said...

She runs - woohoo!

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

This is really good news Lulu. Especially the no pain bit. It sounds like poor Ellie will be out for a while.

Your situation reminds me of Patti Catalano. She was coming back from an injury, and was only allowed by her coach to add a few minutes to her runs as they gradually got longer.

You'll get there.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Don't think of it as only 7.5 minutes. Think of it as 450 seconds! :-)

Gnome

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger running uphill said...

taking it slowly sounds like a wise idea. Good to hear you are running again.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

7.5 minutes is waaaaay better than nothing. Good to hear you are on the road back.

I'm in Sydney for a couple of months so hopefully catch up soon. I'm on hols so am free for the Lindt Cafe anytime :-)

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, great news, Lulu. Now I'll have to get to work on a magic spell for Ellie! Say well now!

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger miners said...

yes, as you said - not too far in front of the other :)

Hope ellie and lulu are tripping the light fantastic at centennial again before too long

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger CJ said...

Welcome back to the world of running! You've got to start somewhere so 7.5mins is better than nothing.
I'm still trying to acclimatise after 6weeks of summer - its not working! Even with the extra (unwanted) padding I feel the cold. So bring on Noosa I say!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger zanne said...

love your blog ... cannot remember where i found it from, but clicked on it because of the name - we call my youngest daughter lulu (her middle name is Louise) - so of course i couldn't resist reading about 'lulu runs'! glad to hear your hip issues seem to be working out - i too, just came off an injury of sorts - it had no name, but i was dealing with a lot of hip, leg & lower back pain. it was finally determined that the hip pain was referred from the back & i've been really stepping up the core & lower back excersises ... that, coupled with massage, seems to keep the problems at bay & after 2 months i am finally healed & training for second marathon ... i did a lot of the lower mileage stuff that it sounds like you are doing now & it helps. you may have mentioned this - not sure ... do you have a leg length discrepancy? i do & putting lifts in shoe really helped too. here's to hoping your upswing continues! it certainly sounds like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home