Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Back again already!

Blogging two days in a row.. .it's almost like the good old days. Thanks for the positive feedback on the new approach, that gives me further confidence to continue.

I had a massage early this morning so it was an evening run for me. I'm not a big fan of running in the evening as I'm usually tired and it's still quite hot so I didn't expect a stellar performance.

I started out well on my fartlek well doing 2 km without a walk break with km times of 6.13 and 5.56 which I was quite pleased with. Then I had a few walk breaks and it was all down hill from there. I pulled the pin at 4kms and 27 mins as I was really starting to flag and I know that's when I'm more likely to lose form. It was 4km at an average of 6.40 pace which isn't too bad considering the walk breaks in the fartlek! It will be good to see the average pace gradually come down as I get a bit fitter, faster and and take less walk breaks.

I'm not too worried as I'm back on a fairy strict diet at the moment and so am trying to balance the right intake to exercise ratio and I definitely ran out of energy this afternoon. However, it's probably more important to lose some more weight than worry too much about training volumes at this stage. Before I went to Europe in Sept I managed to get down to 64.5kg which was a big achievement for me. After Dad died I took up comfort eating and drinking and I'm currently 67kgs again. I'd like to lose another 5kgs so we'll see how we get on.

When I did the SMH half in 2005 I was 77kgs so I have made quite good progress, albeit over 2.5 years!! I'm still battling the under active thyroid issue; a trip to the Dr this week revealed that it's still not firing on all cylinders despite the medication, which explains the lack of energy and difficulty in losing weight. Anyway we plod on for now in the attempt to fly as SpeedyGeoff recommends!

Mr lulu is in very good form at the moment, for anyone who is interested in the other half! He is back in full training for the Canberra marathon and his crack at going sub 3hrs. Fingers crossed for an injury free 3 months for both of us. I'm not sure if I'll be doing the 10km at Canberra at this stage due to the new approach, so I might try the 5km instead. It will depend on how long it takes for me to get some fitness back.

7 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

Glad to hear the positive news Lulu.
See you soon - does this diet mean no champagne?

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Yes, it's not too easy for people of our age to lose weight and even more difficult for the girls so you should be rightly proud of going from 77kgs especially with your underactive thingy.

Your hubby doesn't sound like he's too "underactive" at the moment. I'm using a combination of the schedule of his last years training schedule you sent me, bless your heart, and some of my past schedules and advice from other bloggers and I also have started in earnest with my training for Canberra.

I don't think at this stage I'll be looking to go sub 3 as the best I have done is still 17 mins off the pace but I will try to train like I'm going to run sub 3.

Anyway, we are all lucky we are back running and seeking to improve on yesterday. We've got to be thankful for that.

I agree about night running, it sux, but every now and then I'll have a great night run and it does keep me off the internet were I generally spend too much time ;)

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

10 kg. less are a great result. The positive news are a good start for this 2008.....I hope injury free.

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Jen said...

You were looking amazing when I saw you at CR drinks a few weeks ago. Don't be too hard on yourself - you've been through a really tough period.

It's great to have you back blogging again !

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger running uphill said...

Lulu, can you explain the 'fairy strict diet'? Does it involve fairybread?

Good luck with the weight loss. I have learnt a lot about the role of thyroid on metabolism during tha past year. Fortunately my weight mostly went down, but at the moment it is creeping back up. The hardest part I have felt is that I don't have much control over it (whichever direction it is going in).

I think that to lose that much weight with an underactive thyroid is a great achievement and I wouldn't get too hung up on those couple of kilos.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

You're right about the faster stuff being counter-intuitive, but I know that some times I feel better when I put a bit of speed on so I guess it makes sense! Best of luck with the next few months :-)

Gnome

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Watch out! Days in a row running might follow your blogging.

Do the 5k in Canberra - it's an easier course (fewer hills) and you get to run faster (using your newfound speed).

No, I don't care what the other half is doing - he's fast enough to look after himself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home