Sunday, March 09, 2008

A little help from my friends!

We arrived in Bathurst on Sat afternoon and enjoyed the hospitality of Mr lulu's sister and her husband, who stuffed us with wine and pasta ready for the morning.

We arrived in Orange in plenty of time, so I headed out for my run before the race started so I could do cheer squad duties. I did a lap of part of the course, which confused some of the volunteers who looked at me a bit strangely! It felt hard work but I managed to keep going for 52 mins, my longest run for months. I wasn't wearing Garth as he got left behind in Bathurst but I think it was about 8km and the only niggle was the foot.

I waited near the start for Mr lulu to appear, gave him a cheer and then headed back to the start area for a coffee and waited for him to return. A creditable 87.25 mins later he finished. This is not a half PB but more importantly is a 4 min improvement on his time last year, which bodes well for his Canberra attempt. Fingers crossed anyway.

The rest of the week has been a good week of training, (at last) and it's down to arranging to meet up with people at unearthly times of the morning to go training... and it works, because I am far too polite to let people down!

Gym on Monday with the trainer, a rest day on Tues and then a short run on Weds pm. I struggled as I hadn't eaten much during the day and only managed 3.5km and then had to lie down for 30 mins when I got home to recover!

Thurs it was up at the lovely hour of 5am to meet Jen and Ellie for a lap of the park. It was great to be running with the girls again, even though they did take great pleasure in dropping me on the last hill :) Next time, I won't wait for them at the bottom of it! Ellie's garmin had us at about 5.85km. No niggles :)

Friday I met up with Running Angel, (still happy with her 10km PB from Orange at the weekend), for a Spin class. Another good workout and we're going to make it a regular Friday event.

Yesterday I headed out for a quick trot on my old 2 beaches route, down to Clovelly and then up to Bronte and up through the gully. Last time I tried this route I had to walk up most of the hills, this time I only had one little walk on one of the long hills so I was pretty pleased. The average time was also good at 6.14 pace and 4km. It was then off to be tortured by the crazy ab lady and she really gave the old body a good work out. As usual, my hip felt perfect again afterwards so it's worth the pain!

I set out today with the intention of doing an hour, but my legs didn't obey orders and went out a bit faster than I intended and so I was quite glad when I bumped into Amanda and Fats showing off the brand new baby Beatrix, who is quite gorgeous! Amanda told me to get going again so I set off up the hill where I met up with Mr lulu who was struggling a bit with a sore quad so I advised him to head home where I would do my best to fix it if I ever made it back! The long hill up the side of the Cook Road took it's toll and there was a short burst of walking before heading down York Road and starting up the hill home. Here I came across Mr lulu walking home and as I was really starting to struggle and my form was going I stopped and walked home with him. A nice 8kms and 53.45 mins with an average pace of 6.35. Next week I'll have to contain myself on the early stages and see if I can make the hour.

Most importantly, the mechanics have done a good job on the lulu this week and not even my foot was playing up today.

Alcolhol Free March also commenced last Sunday; in fact I'm going to keep it up until after my little 5km trot on marathon weekend and Running Angel is keeping me company on my quest. I even managed to survive a two day offsite with all the sales managers without resorting to drink!

8 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger strewth said...

Yay - that font is much easier to read! Alcohol-free March - I'm impressed! You sound like you're relly picking up your training - look forward to seeing you in Canberra with Mr Lulu - he did a great time in the half which bodes well for the marathon.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Politeness will be the death of us, but it is an excellent training motivation technique :-)

Gnome

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Neese said...

best wishes on the no alcohol I assume this started AFTER your in-laws stuffed you with wine and pasta? ;) :)

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mind if I join you for alcohol free March too? I'm so pleased to see you doing all that running niggle-free! I have a good feeling about 08!

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Things are looking good Lulu, very happy for you. And I so admire you on the alcohol free month, I try for 2 days a week and think I'm so good when I manage 3.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Here here on the bigger font. See Scott, it doesn't make you go blind!

How are we going to celebrate Mr Lulu's marathon PB? Are you sure you weren't having a wine or three when you typed "Alcolhol Free"? ;)

Good to see you starting to run well again Lulu - and something close to passing a rego check.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Black Knight said...

I must start a coca cola free month. Too difficult for an addicted.
Glad to see you to run well.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's a huge change from when I last dropped by, Lulu! I'm so pleased that you're niggle free & enjoying running etc. again. Good for you! See you & Mr Lulu in Canberra.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home