Saturday, March 01, 2008

Deja Vu

Well here we are at the start of another month and it's been the same old sorry state of affairs. Weight the same - check, inconsistent training - check, and work taking up far too much time - check!

Even my best efforts at applying coaching techniques failed to keep me on course on Feb. Without them I would have probably ended up an overweight, alcoholic, couch potato so let's look on the bright side. Monthly kms were even less than Jan, which is funny really!

So, what are we going to do about it... well what else can we do but keep on keeping on doing the best I can. I've been in my new job for 4 months now and things have been going really well and I've established some good relationships with the key people who can see where I can assist them. Of course that means that they are now asking me to help them which I try to do whilst doing my day job setting up the total sales effectiveness strategy and trying to implement it. Consequently, my days are getting longer and my opportunity for running is getting less. I'll try for acohol free March and I hope I won't be doing too much travelling this month so will be able to eat a little more healthily. I've also arranged to meet Ellie for a run on Thursday am so come rain or shine I shall have to go and meet her. I won't mind being in the park in the dark either with some company.

This week was a classic. The week started well and I was up nice and early on Tuesday to do a short interval session. I've lengthened my intervals up from 30 secs to a minute so that I'm not pushing quite as hard and so putting slightly less pressure on the temperamental foot and calf. A total of 4.5 kms and not a bad session.

Weds I had a massage and ET tortured the foot finally into submission I think. I intended to test it out on Weds evening, but after getting held up at work it was nearly 7pm by the time I made it to Centennial Park. Big black clouds hung overhead and I was just wondering if the predicted storm had arrived and whether I'd get struck by lightening or not, when I heard the crack of a lightening fork and a big clap of thunder overhead. Hmmm.. shall I carry on and run under the trees for safety or shall I go home and cook dinner. Cooking dinner won out.

Thursday I at least managed to get out of bed at 5.15 so I could go for a run before catching a plane to Brissie but my foot was a bit tender from ETs ministrations so I got back into bed again.

That brings us to Friday. A hard session at the gym with the Glute Torturer in the morning and I had every intention of going out for a run when I got home. After picking up some running shoes for Mr lulu, doing the shopping for dinner and handling a Queensland work crisis on the the way home, it was about 7.30pm before I could think about it and Mr lulu was looking expectantly at the dinner table.... there goes another one!

Finally, this morning the alarm went off at 6 and I dragged myself out of bed and down to the park. I felt tired and knew I wasn't firing on all cylinders, as any time I tried to do an faster surge there wasn't much difference in pace. In the end I stopped at 4kms and walked back home. Still at least it was 4kms at 6.15 pace. The foot and hip niggles are all a lot better though so that's a positive.

Then I headed off to the North Shore to see the Crazy Ab Lady for some more torture.

My theory about her exercises being the ones that really stop my hip/groin niggling has been proved correct and she confirmed that a lot of what we do does put the femur in the hip socket in the right place. This is really what it feels like to me and my groin pain goes away instantly, presumably because the femur is no longer jammed against the damaged cartiledge. At least I know what I need to keep doing.

We're off to Orange in an hour so that Mr lulu can run in the half marathon out there as part of his prep for Canberra marathon. The course looks a bit flatter, and it's forecast to be cool this year so we hope he'll do a good time. I was thinking about doing the 5km as I did last year but I don't need further confirmation of my lack of fitness so I'm going to just do a training run while he's out racing.

6 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

I think it's Deja Vu about your font getting smaller ;)

Glad we didn't read "runner killed by lightening" in the Times. You're doing OK considering the candle is being burned at three ends. I hope your mechanics can continue to keep lulumobile on the road.

Say g'day to my mate Jim W at Orange. He's doing the half again and said it was hilly!

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Well if you are meeting Ellie for a run on Thursday morning, then you are going to get 2 for the price of 1 :-)

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Whew! I'm glad Ewen said that about your font ... I thought it was my eyes.

Things might be the same but at least they haven't gone downhill :) Seriously though, with such a busy schedule I'm surprised you have time to breath, so good on you for squeezing in what training you can.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Tesso, you can blame your eyes later this year (or is it next?)
;)

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger strewth said...

Nah, the font's not getting smaller - it was miniscule to start with! Our comments are bigger than the post! And excuse me Ewen - enough comments about age - we all know it isn't age that affects the eyesight!! Don't pick on young Tesso! :)

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Constant effort-check.

Just keep that up Lulu and you'll have it sorted in the not far distant future.

Enjoy Orange and let us know how Mr. Lulu goes with the half.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home