Sunday, February 03, 2008

Kick Start

Well, after posting last I have been all over the place. I did a nice fast run on last Saturday morning, the details of which I have forgotten, but I remember being pleased! (Edit: Now I've looked at my blog I see I have already told you all about that...my poor old memory is definitely going!) Then it was off to Mr lulu's Dad's place near Albury. I managed to do a couple of walks and some strength stuff but discovered I high had sore tib post muscles, which attach on the inside of the calf to the ankle. The left one was particulary bad so I decided to treat them nicely for a few days.

I fully intended to go running on Weds morning in Melbourne but those naughtly Melbourne boys took me out to dinner again and I slept really badly so it was a failure to launch on Weds. Easy Tiger tortured the calves on Thursday morning and they settled down quite well.

More excuses followed for the rest of the week until hitting one of Sean's running camps at Sussex Inlet on Friday night. I did think about hiding in my cabin all weekend to avoid Sean torturing me but it wasn't a very nice cabin!

Sat morning was a nasty sounding sandhills session so I decided my calves probably wouldn't enjoy that so I stayed in bed and then got up and fetched coffee and made breakfast for the athletes of the house ( who were Running Angel, Mr RA, BeckyO and of course Mr Lulu). I didn't feel too guilty when I saw that Easy Tiger didn't do the sandhills either.. .he informed me he was a runner not a camel :)

I couldn't escape the late morning session though. This was supposed to be a 2.5km jog down to the beach and then 4 or 8km along the beach and a 2.5 km run back. As this would be about my week's total in one run I was permitted to drive to the beach and then I just did one out and back loop which was about 2.7km, plus I did a little bit extra to make it 3km. I started out with RA and Becky, which was a mistake as they went out at a nice sub 6 min pace which had me wheezing away once we hit the end of the beach and so I had to slow down for the return leg. A very nice little hit out though.

The afternoon session was a strength workout on the beach. I did my own version as I am probably a bit overly cautious in doing anything new which might aggravate the dodgy hip. I also didn't want to get totally frazzled on the beach in the afternoon sun. I did a good pilates and some glute torturer exercises before organising afternoon. ( As you can tell, I was camp chef which seemed fair as I wasn't doing anywhere near as much as the athletes).

Saturday night it was down to the local RSL; not an experience I care to repeat, the food was truly terrible. Next camp, I'll cook dinner so I don't have to sample the delights of the local RSL! One of the other runners commented that we didn't really fit in as we were all too slim!

This morning it was the long run out in the National Park. Lovely trail to run on, and I started out with Becky and RA again and this time they slowed down so I could run with them until I turned around after 25 mins. I was finding it hard work and feeling very unfit until Becky O pointed out that we had been running on a gradual uphill for most of the way. I found out she was right when I turned around and flew back down, for a nice total of 50 mins at an average pace of 6.25. At 7.8km, my longest run for about 7 months!

After cooking breakfast for half the camp (word had spread of my camp chef status) it was a short rest, a trip to town to fetch the Sunday Telegraph so we could read the article about Becky O and her quest to raise money while doing the Marathon de Sable, and then off for one of Sean's delightful aqua workouts. Lots of drills, strides and other forms of torture down at the lake.

We're back home now and feeling quite tired but I have definitely been re-inspired to keep on plugging away and to try and be more consistent this month. Lots of nagging please people! I have had lots of patchy weeks in Jan. I've also decided to make Feb an alcohol free month to give the weight loss a bit of a boost, as I haven't made much progress this month. Let's see what I can do, despite doing a lot of travelling in the next few weeks.

Apologies to Ewen for scaring him with Aussie talk: I promise to keep control of my Australianess from now on :)

9 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

In sympathy with you Lulu I promise not to talk about booze or bozzing for the whole month of February.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Sorry about the previous spelling mistake Lulu but I'm drunk as I write! Doh! wasn't suppose to talk about it was I ;)

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger running uphill said...

I am with you on RSL food Lulu. Sounds like a good weekend's running. Make sure you stick to it!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. But did you have to swear off alcohol before the PG girs came to visit? ;-P

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Alcohol free! Excuse me Lulu... I just sprayed beer all over my keyboard. Thanks for reverting to your civilised accent, although you didn't scare me - I was just in shock.

That camp of Sean's sounded like a beauty, with you cooking I'm sure there was no black fish served (sorry Scott, couldn't help myself). Well done on your 7.8k! Keep it up or I'll be nagging you as much as speedygeoff nags me.

By the way, you didn't fool me with that miniture font - my eyesight is the one thing which is not going ;)

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Well if you have to pick up month to give up the booze February is the way to go, even if it is a leap year.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Time for another quick update, Lulu!

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

About alcohol free I am teetotal and when I was in Ireland people looked at me like a crazy because I didn't drink a big Guinness.
I like your quote: more excuses followed for the rest of the week!!!!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Jen said...

How are you going lovely? We haven't heard from you (even in the PG for a while). I hope all is well

xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home