Friday, March 21, 2008

A minor setback

A trip to Brad the physio yesterday sees me now sporting a very attractive piece of strapping on my right shin, which is somewhat reminiscent of Roman gladiator gaitors. My poor old tibialis posteriors are doing far too much work and now unfortunately the sheath around the tib is a bit inflamed. The strapping is an experiment to see if it takes the load off the tib post.

As instructed I did a 5km run this morning to see how it felt. I think it helps as the leg doesn't feel too bad now whereas the left unstrapped one feels a bit tight. It appears that the long lay off means I lost the conditioning in my lower legs and now I have to go through the hassle of toughening them up again.

The treatment includes:
  1. Only running 3 times a week and no back to back runs
  2. Taking anti-inflammatories for 5 days
  3. Strapping if it helps
  4. Lots of calf stretches, but not off the step. Brad doesn't like that particular stretch as he says that hanging off the step makes the calf contract and then you're trying to stretch it so it doesn't really work, so it's leaning into the wall stretches only
  5. 3x15 eccentric calf exercises twice a day on both legs to strengthen the other muscles so the tib post doesn't have to do as much work. I feel like I have to condition my body one body part at a time at the moment.
  6. Doing some water running/spin classes to maintain the limited fitness

So, a minor setback and I'm not really surprised as I do appear to be extremely prone to inflammation. Brad informs me that researchers have isolated a gene which predisposes people to tendinopathy and inflammation and he believes I probably have it. Not a big issue, except you have to manage things before they get out of hand and he suggested that just keeping running until your leg snaps is probably not the best way to go! I have to say I agree with him there and will obey orders! We'll have to see how it is in the next couple of weeks before I decide if the 5km at Canberra is feasible or advisable. Fingers crossed!

Three bits of good news though:

  1. My hips and pelvis are looking great apparently - very symmetrical so I'm obviously doing all the right things there
  2. I get to go water running with Ellie
  3. Nothing else is hurting :)

4 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

"extremely prone to inflammation" eh? You should watch those flying embers this BBQ season Lulu ;)

I like how you don't complain taking the good with the bad in your posts Lulu.Very unenglish like though ;)

I'm on a roll but I'm not going to touch "the gladiators" comment :)

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

What's Scott on about? Was Tibialis Posterios a Roman emporer?

I'll just have a go at you not being able to think of two things, I mean body-parts, at once. That's an alleged male failing.

The 5k is a goer - the gentle up/gentle down lap course is perfect for muscle variation :)

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger strewth said...

Looking forward to seeing you in Canberra Lulu. Maybe a few of us we can do dinner Sat night? Do hope those exercises do the trick!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger 2P said...

I've always thought they looked great :) (now you will need to go back to the blog and see what I'm talking about) :) :)

Watcha up to mate?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home