Monday, September 12, 2005

Cheering and running

Not in the same day though like most of my fellow bloggers. I had decided not to enter any events this weekend and it was the right decision I think as I still am not fully recovered from the jet lag/stomach bug combo. Mr Lulu dropped me at the station at BJ and I headed into the city and was in position on the Cahill Expressway by 7.15; just in time to see the marathoners heading out on their long journey.

After that there was a bit of a break before the half marathoners and then the 9ker's came streaming past. I was the sole cheersquader at this stage and was doing my best to give everyone a boost with a wave of my pom pom. Good to see some of the halfers having a great day with my training buddies Roys World, Simon and the Don having great races. Not may pics taken at this stage as I had to decide between pics and cheering and thought the cheering more important.

Thankfully the rest of the cheersquad arrived in due course to boost my lone efforts and get those marathoners home. It was pretty hot and tiring just cheering and so I can't imagine how the marathoners were feeling on that final stretch. It was great being part of the day even though I wasn't running and it's really good to be able to give something back to the running community that has given me lots of support and encouragement recently. I can highly recommend a dose of cheering to give you and the runners a lift and I was thoroughly inspired to get moving again this week.

Consequently I headed out to tackle the three beaches circuit down to Coogee and back along the coast to Bronte beach. My legs had been a bit sore after my run on Sat which is a bit surprising but shows how much leg strength I lost in a few weeks of slacking off! However, they felt OK this morning and so I tried to keep up the pace on the hills and concentrate on keeping form; being upright and engaging the glutes on the uphill sections. Bronte hill was a bit of a killer, especially the steep section at the top, but it didn't defeat me today as I ran all the way.

Now I have a target to beat for this run; 6.66kms in 45mins with an average pace of 6.47/km.

9 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger allrounder said...

hi Lulu...thanks for the cheering, i know it gave me a lift!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Nice cheer, owe you a beer. ;)

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

well done Lulu, you're the talk of the town. CR legend.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Hi Lulu! It was great to catch up after the event. Thanks for the cheering - you're right, it really does help. Anyway, hope to catch up in a couple of weeks - will be in touch shortly.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Tesso said...

Lulu, lots has been said about how wonderful the big cheersquad near the end were, but seeing you on the Cahill Expressway early in the race was the best surprise! Thank you so so so so much. Great pom-poms too :-)

I can't believe after your huge morning that you had the energy to run - well done!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Thankyou for cheering us in the half and for letting us join your team later :-). We really enjoyed our debut.

TA

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger silverfox said...

Nice work Lulu, your efforts were greatly appreciated. Awesome.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Horrie said...

What can we say about your dedication Lulu? Being a 1 person Cheer Squad for so long must not have been easy but you were bright and bubbly right from the start. Seeing you guys when we did was the stuff dreams are made of. Thank you so much for the lift you gave everybody at the business end of the course.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Thanks Lulu! You were brilliant. That was the perfect spot - a great view of those pom poms from a long way off. It's amazing how effective a one-person cheer squad can be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home