Friday, September 16, 2005

A good SWEAT

The format for today's SWEAT session was modified as Sean is still recovering from the marathon on Sunday and is having a week off running. So we did our fartlek session around the oval. We started with a quick 1km warm up and some drills and then did 15 mins in one direction around the oval and 15 mins in the other direction. The fence around the oval has breaks in it and so we alternated surging and floating between the breaks in the fence.

I thought it might be a bit boring but actually it was quite good fun and as Sean could see us all the time he could coach on form and technique as we went past him. He was telling me to work on putting more bounce into the surges and really spring off the back foot and use the glutes. This definitely helped me pick up the pace and I felt much lighter on my feet.It picked up my knees and put me more on the mid foot. Something I'll have to practice on my runs now. I felt pretty strong and tried to keep up the effort for the 30 mins but found my floats were getting slower and slower so I'll have to make an effort to keep up the pace more on the recoveries.

I tried to incorporate more of a bounce into my step on the cool down jog and found that it made me quicker without more effort and I could keep up the rest of the group.

In total I did 8.44km with an average pace of 5.43/km which is great; breaking that 6min/km barrier for a change..Yippee! Some of the km's lap times seem a bit wild with one being 4.40/km which is a bit scary..no wonder I was out of breath! I'm not sure how accurate Garth is when you're running around in circles but I'm happy to believe him today!

7 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Sounds like the SWEAT sessions are really paying off for you Lulu! Have a great weekend.

J

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger miners said...

I think Garth will be fine unless the circles you're running are inside the Guggenheim - great to hear that you can obviously see the improvements. Might just try that bouncy thing myself

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Great running this morning!! You definately seemed quicker :) It is great to see you improving! We can work on being Kangaroos together:) I really enjoyed the session this morning! See you next week

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Be afraid, be very afraid when the coach watches you. It can mean big changes are afoot. Glad you enjoyed it.

TA

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger CJ said...

I'm assuming this is the same session that Katie goes to? Sounds like you might be in the conversion phase (isn't that what Don Juan called it?!) Well done on a hard workout.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Sean told the truth when he said he wouldn't keep up with you this morning. I was right.
You ARE a machine.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Great session Lulu - would be great to catch up in December when you two are down - let me know when you guys are free!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home