Sunday, October 22, 2006

Melbelaide

This week has been a blur of planes, training sessions, and runs in different cities, not to mention linking up with inter-state CR bloggers which has been fun.

Wednesday
On a plane first thing and so my run took place in the afternoon, once the day's training was over. Just a short easy run along the banks of the Yarra in Melbourne, 4.3km and half an hour. Very pleasant afternoon along the river, watching the rowers train.

Thursday
A bit of a late night with the meat men (and they know how to drink) saw me unable to get out of bed early this morning so I swapped my rest day from Friday to Thursday. This probably wasn't a bad idea as my legs were still a bit stiff from the weekend's run and the rest day helped them recover. After work I headed out to meet Wobbly Man for a couple of drinks and had the pleasure of inspecting the newly shaven legs. Very smooth apart from the lovely scabs where he had taken off the skin on his shin bone with dodgy shaving techniques... ouch!

Friday
Up and along the river this morning and Wobbly had given me clear instructions on finding the Tan from my hotel and so I did a tempo run around then Tan and then back to the hotel. Anderson St hill slowed me down a bit and so the splits for the 4km tempo were 6.23, 5.41, 5.34, 5.58 and then a jog back to the hotel for a total of 6.6km.


Saturday
Flew in from Melbourne on Friday night and had an early night before meeting Simlin for our morning's run. Simlin picked me up from outside the hotel and we headed off around the streets of North Adelaide and then down to the river. A great run and it was fantastic to have a local guide to show me the sights of Adelaide. It certainly makes the run a lot easier when you don't have to worry about getting lost, not to mention the charming company! We took it nice and easy and cruised along at 6.30 pace for about 9.7km. Thanks again Simlin, very enjoyable running.

Sunday
Having arrived back on Saturday night and feeling a bit tired from the weeks travels I had a bit of a late start this morning before heading out for my long run. I was running solo this week as Ellie was helping Kit out at the Striders internal half. I ran down to the park and then did an outside loop including the golf course and stopped briefly to say hello to Mr lulu who was playing touch football in a work team comp which was being held near Moore Park. Another lap of the outside and back to see Mr lulu and steal some Gaterade from their supplies and then Mr lulu ran back home with me. I'd undestimated the distance back home and so we ended up walking the last little section home. This 18km didn't seem quite as easy as last weekend but I've had a much heavier training week but I still felt pretty good at the end and managed to pick up the pace a little once I'd picked up Mr lulu. Let's hope the legs recover a bit quicker this week than last week.

I'm a bit concerned about my knee but it's got a bit better this week and I'll have a chat with the Tiger tomorrow and see what he thinks before I start to panic too much. I really don't want a reoccurance at this stage when my training seems to be going well. I've done 43km this week which is the most I've done for a year or so and am beginning to feel the benefits.

A rest day tomorrow but I'll try and get to the gym and do a Pilates class as I've hardly done any the last week or so and I need all the strength work I can get if I'm going to keep the knee issues at bay.


11 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger miners said...

oo-er ... drinking wtih the meat men? You're a brave girl.

Hope Gary has some clues for you snowy :)

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Wow lulu - you are going gang-busters - keep it up mate ;-)

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Melbelaide is my favourite southern city.

I hope the knee keeps behaving. More running can sometimes build strength.

Go easy on Sean this week ;)

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Hope the knee settles down. Take it easy for a while yet.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

a nice week of running my dear! and i am sorry that I couldn't join you on sunday! See you tuesday at training and i command the knee to be better. now.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, what a fun week. Isn't the CR & blogging community great that you can go to a strange city and hook up with somebody for a run or a drink. Luv it!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Clairie said...

A very solid week of running there Lulu, congratultions on your biggest week in over 18months.

Good idea to keep up the pilates and strength training - fingers crossed the knee is just reminding you of its existence.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Wobbly man said...

It was great to catch up with you again Lulu. I must say you sound like quite the (CR/blogger) social butterfly!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Hey Lulu, BB and I would be up for a medium/long or about 14k this Saturday or Sunday if you are interested???

Also, we were thinking (or I was thinking lol) of starting ilates (due to the incredible amount of back pain I've been getting of late), where do you do your classes?

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger PortRunr said...

Big week all round there, and a big run to finish it off. Hope you had a nice relaxing sunday afternoon :)

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Wow. That's a huge week Lulu. I need a bit of consistency in my pilates classes too. Time we gave each other a kick up the butt (or at least agreed to meet more often) me thinks ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home