Sunday, September 17, 2006

Having fun and not breaking anything

With the bridge run on the agenda today we left home at 6.15 and picked up Beki and then got the train to Milson's Point.

The place was packed with runners of all shapes and sizes. It was great to see so many people but I'm not sure they've got the organisation right as the 4km family fun run took off before us and even we ran into the back of them so it must have been havoc when the front of our pack tried to get through.

Jen_runs, Beki and I did a warm up km or so up and down the hill, did some stretching and then lined up. We left it a bit late to line up and so ended up a long way down the hill. The gun went off and we set off, well we took one step forward. It took us 8 mins to cross the line so it's a good thing they had timing chips for start times as well as finish times.

We set off a relatively nice pace and the first km passed in 6.17 which was below what we wanted to do but as we were hemmed in on all sides it was the best we could do with all the weaving in and out. Once on the bridge we had a bit more space but it was still a bit crowded. We lost Beki on the bridge somewhere although I don't think she was far behind us. I'm sure she'll soon be zooming past me when she's back to full fitness though. As we came onto Maquarie Street we saw Easy Tiger flying down the hill to the finish and gave him a cheer. Through 5km in 30.35 so still behind our pace.

Into Art Gallery Road and things slowed down again as we were forced into half the road as the front of the pack were coming the other way. At this point Jen needed a toilet stop and I decided to keep going and told her to catch up with me:) I like to give her a challenge and I was fairly sure she'd manage it. I walked through the drinks stop at Mrs Macquarie's chair and then struggled a bit up the little hill just before the art gallery, knowing that once I passed that it was pretty much flat and downhill to the finish.

Once on Macquarie St again I started aiming for people ahead of me and trying to pass them. I was enjoying myself doing this when Jen appeared at my side just past the 8km mark and we tried to keep on pushing to the finish. Mr lulu appeared just at the end of Macquarie St and ran up the finishing straight with us.

Final time by my watch was 53.38. We managed the last km in under 5 min pace to slip in under the 6 min/km average pace. I'm calling it a PB as I haven't done a 9km race before and I haven't done any race where the average pace has started with a 5 rather than a 6 so that's a bonus!

I felt pretty good most of the way although I'm missing some stamina as the 7-8 km was hard work. I'm feeling fairly content with that considering it's the first race I've done all year and only on 8 weeks training. I didn't run with the Garmin and this worked well for me as I just ran on how I felt rather than stressing about the speed.

In the end Jen and I agreed that we had achieved our goal for the day of having fun and not breaking anything. Fingers crossed I won't wake up with any sore bits anyway.

Big thanks to Jen_runs for accompanying me, and for her big effort in catching me again after her stop, and of course to Mr lulu for shepherding us across the line.

Also a big thanks to Easy Tiger for getting me back on the road, and making me persist when I felt like giving up running earlier in the year :) Now he just has to keep me on the road until the Central Coast Half. Good thing he's a man who enjoys a challenge.

14 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

definitely a pb - especially on such a obstacle-laden course. great to have you back running and racing lulu and can't wait till you are back from your (next) italian getaway to get stuck in at sweat again!!!

e xxx

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Jen said...

My fingers are crossed too Lulu (for me!)

It was my absolute pleasure. I'm so glad that I ran with you & that we achieved our goal. Have a wonderful trip - looking forward to running with you again soon!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger strewth said...

Well done Lulu - great race and congrats on achieving your goal! You must now be in countdown mode for the well-deserved romantic holiday!

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Great to meet you and Jen today. I struggled a lot in the heat and with virtually no training, so actually finished quite some way behind you but never miond, it was just nice to get out there :-)

Look forward to catching up with you for a run sometime soon - enjoy your trip!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Gronk said...

Nice to see you racing Lulu. Try and get some running in whilst slumming it on Italy will ya ? ;)

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger 2P said...

Yeehaa Lulu well done - that sub 60 10k is just a formality now ;-)

Might have to line up for the CC Half myself.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger allrounder said...

good job Lulu, sounds like you had a good day!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Well done on the PB.
Don't forget to blog from Italy. It would be scandalous if you kept us all in the dark again.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow - a PB, a flying last km, a goal achieved, and you had fun doing it! Can't ask for much more than that :-)

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I am so happy for you Lulu!!! It is great to have you back running again and what an awesome post injury race! See you when your back from your little Italian adventure!

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger miners said...

Fantastic report lulu, and very important to hear that all the significant goals were well and truly ticked off - including sparkie's suggested 3rd goal from all accounts :)

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger PortRunr said...

Congratulations on the pb and on fulfilling those goals! Have a wonderful romantic getaway :)

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A fantastic run, Lulu! You're very brave running without your Garmin; one day when I have enough courage, I'll try & do the same! Have a wonderful holiday..... you lucky girl!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Great race. Good to have you back! Now, roll on CC (oh, and enjoy Italy... mumble, grumble, wanna go, grumble...)

Gnome

 

Post a Comment

<< Home