Sunday, December 17, 2006

The girls do the park... again

I was up at 5.30 this morning baking muffins for the SWEAT brunch that was being held after the long run this morning.

The Owl had come to stay on Saturday night so that she was in position to attack the park without a long journey from the inner west. Ellie was in charge of getting us all there as Mr lulu had taken the lulumobile to go out to SMC to race the 10km. We were also joined by S who runs with our SWEAT squad. Turns out she comes from the same part of England as me. Small world.

Despite Ellie trying to convince us to leave the park as she's bored of it we managed to persuade her that something easy and relatively flat was a good idea. So just after 7 we were at the park and ready to go. We started off with a warm up loop of the inside track, a toilet stop and then an outside loop and finished off with an inside loop for a total of 1 hour 40 and just under 15kms. Although I had 2 hours on my programme the assistant coach (Mr lulu) advised not to over do it as I'm not feeling that great. Not going to argue with that.

At times I felt like I was going to fall behind the girls and had to focus on keeping my leg turn over going, particularly on the hills. I feel like I've gone back months in my running which is very frustrating. The good news is that the calf was well behaved and we won't talk about the dodgy knee and achilles... I think I'm falling apart.

The SWEAT brunch was good fun and we had a very inspirational guest speaker. Dr William Tan is a wheelchair athlete who has completed marathons around the world, including the Antartic marathon. Amazing achievement and a great speaker too. His website can be found here

8 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

yep - after new year we attack the hills and the 'burbs :) nice catching up again though as always - and the muffins were superb!!!

 
At 4:14 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

The Antartic marathon is a dream! Ahhh I would like to taste your muffins!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger miners said...

well done at keeping the whipper snapper in line lulu. And nice work at keeping the calf in line too :)

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger 2P said...

How does it compare to Dallas :-)

Nice work on the 15k lulu - great to see you getting these long runs in - well done.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

2Ps is a wicked man.

Nobody I know argues with Mr Lulu. Rumour has it Mr Lulu's on fire on the track. Gee, he looks hungry at the moment too.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger R2B said...

That would have been a great speach!
After reading Dean Karnazes book i have wanted to do that and 6 foot.Soon enough 6 foot will be a reality!

(ps thanks for you goalsetting PDF!)

Cheers R2B

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Tesso said...

Isn't it great we have these wonderful running buddies to keep us going. Though I think I need to find one that bakes muffins :-)

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Up at 5.30 baking muffins! That's dedication. Glad the calf has calmed down Lulu - don't worry about those smaller farm animals - nothing a good kelpie can't handle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home