Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Still here!

My legs were very stiff and sore after the race and my orthotics went off to be recovered whilst I was recovering so I had a few days of rest. I was back on the road by Friday to test out my legs.

The calf was a bit sore but not as bad as I feared and Saturday it was better than Friday. Friday I did 3o mins and Saturday about 45 mins. My legs were still a bit fatigued even then.

Today, I decided to try out my calf at SWEAT. I had four laps of the lake on the programme and managed one before my calf complained. I did another couple of laps at an easy pace which it doesn't seem to mind so much. Looks like some slow runs will be on the agenda for a while until it recovers. That's probably not a bad thing as I'm feeling very tired and am finding running very hard work at the moment. I'm not sure if it's just me recovering from the HM or something more. I'll see how I feel in the next few days.

Thanks for all the comments on the race. I'm feeling pretty good about it now and have a few things to learn from the experience. I'll definitely make sure I drink some sports drink and not just water the day before to prevent the cramping. In terms of training, I think what I was lacking here was more race fitness. I'd hardly done any races this year and only one 9km race in the lead up to the half. Mr lulu has decreed that I'll be doing more races in the next few months. I was hoping to start this on Sunday out at SMC but I'm not sure it's wise considering the calf issues so it will have to wait until that is fixed.

11 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger 2P said...

Just keep the legs ticking over at an easy pace till that calf heals - good to see you still here lulu ;-)

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger miners said...

I harp on about it a bit too much I think, but maybe look at trying the Endura electrolyte as a replacement to your usual powerade/gatorade sports drink. It's helped me an enormous amount when it comes to cramping :)

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

Lulu does use endura don't you?

Anyway please take it easy cause I need you in commission for long runs henceforth! No more breaking! See you thursday :)

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

I'm still here too.

Take it easy for another week, and don't bugger up that calf before Christmas.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Horrie said...

Great to see you back into it at SWEAT this morning. Good to see you listening to your body. We don't want you breaking down again.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Its funny, just when you think you have the nutrition side okay something happens to change your mind. Well, that's what I find. There must be soooooo much to it.

Oh for the good old days when people ran marathons just on water!

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

So, as you were not racing your progress was not remarkable? Could be, the good part is there are many races where you live, but don't exagerate, your body will tell you when is ready :)

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Simlin said...

I missed your race-report...will have to go back and catch up.
Keep up the easy runs!

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Simlin said...

I missed your race-report...will have to go back and catch up.
Keep up the easy runs!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Be careful with the calf Lulu. I hope it's placid in nature. You are right to steer clear of hills and speedwork for a while.

The more frequent racing plan looks good :)

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hi Lulu

Yes That's a fine idea get that calf fixed and back into some more regular racing. One race a month be it a 5K, 10K or half, and one or two marathons a year and you'll have no problem building on your fitness and keeping motivated. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home