Thursday, November 30, 2006

Lounging around the lake

I tackled an advanced Pilates class yesterday evening which wasn't as bad as I expected considering I haven't been for a week and followed that up with some stretching, so I felt ready for action this morning.

Today's session was fartlek around the lake, taking it relatively easy, as lots of the squad are running at the weekend.

I felt very slow and heavy on my warm up and the drills and my heart rate seemed to shoot up immediately. Once I got going on the lake laps though I started to feel better. I assumed my normal position at the back of the pack and headed off. Even our resident elder statesmen (73 years old) was in front of me for the first lap.

I didn't go out too hard in the first surge and so managed not to back off too much on the floats but there was still a noticeable change of pace. I overtook the elder statesman at the start of the second lap and picked up the pace a bit in the surges.

First lap was 8.14 and the second 8.16 so nice and evenly paced and I finished feeling quite strong. Last time I did 2 laps of the lake my time was 16.40 so I'm 10 secs faster in a month. Feel much better now I know that.

We had a guest visit from CR Sarge this morning and it turns out that he and Mr lulu did their training in the fire brigade together so they had a good chance to catch up after 20 years or more.

3 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger Becky O said...

Congrats on your 10 sec PB. Pretty good for a relaxed effort.

See you on the weekend...

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

10 seconds faster - excellent! Nice feeling finishing strongly, the endurance benefits from those longer runs are paying off.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Black Knight said...

I would like to run around a lake, it would be so nice. Congratulations for the PB and as the latin said: "ad majora"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home