Sunday, March 25, 2007

A big catch-up

Thursday I had to get up at 5 to set off for Canberra, again! I had a two day workshop for one of my clients to attend and not much time for anything else, so I'm sorry to didn't see any of the Canberra CRs this time. I'll be back in two weeks though so I'll try and see you then!

After the workshop ended on the Thursday I decided to head out and do my run. It was still really hot but I intended to only do 5km or so... that was the intention. I headed up from the hotel towards Red Hill and found a very nice track which ran around the bottom so I followed that for a while. When I got to 2.5km I turned around. I then saw another track which appeared to follow the road back to my hotel and merrily headed along that, behind the houses. I got the sense that is was going away from the road so at the next available point I did a right hand turn and headed in the direction of the road. A few more twists and turns and I still didn't appear where I thought I should. By now I'd done well over 5km...hmmm. I had a pretty good idea of where I thought the hotel was, but not really how to get there. I was starting to feel a bit tired and thirsty by now so I asked a local Canberrite who was innocently putting his rubbish bin away where the hotel was. After a few directions I set off again and fortunately was soon back at the hotel. Now I remember why Mr lulu won't let me run on my own when we're in strange cities!! All up 7kms.

Another early start on Friday and then I drove back to Sydney in the mid afternoon. What I needed after 3.5 hours in the car was a bit of exercise so I headed down to Centennial Park for a lazy 5kms. My legs felt like lead and I felt really tired but I was glad I'd done it.

Lucky I'd arranged to meet Ellie this morning as the wind was howling around our place this morning and it looked very unattractive out there. Obviously there was no sympathy from Mr lulu who had three hours on his programme. I met Ellie at her pad and then we headed off down Oxford St, through the domain, around the Opera House, up Pitt and Hunter Sts and then back up Oxord and Moore Park road. There was then a bit of running up and down Ellie's street to do to take us to exactly 12 kms.

We saw Gronk doing his last long run before Canberra *waves* and shortly after this I tripped and twisted my ankle. Unfortunately, it had to be the ankle with the dodgy achilles which is now feeling a little bit upset with me. It had been feeling a lot better this week so I'm hoping it's a temporary glitch and with a bit of tlc will be OK.

Apart from that I felt really strong this morning and could have gone further but I'm still under instructions to limit my kms, and breakfast was calling. We picked up Running Angel and then headed to one of our fav cafes in Bondi to wait for Mr lulu and have a great brekkie.

10 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger speedygeoff said...

Our Canberra roads are specially designed to get pedestrians fit, and maximise petrol use if they are driving. The roads inevitably veer away from the direction you want to travel. Conversely, all roads lead to Parliament House, so if you start there, you never have far to go on return. Curiously

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Red Hill ... that was my old stomping grounds when I worked in Canberra in the mid 80s. Its a lovely area. You probably ran on the same paths I used to run on :-)

What a great feeling that is when you can finish a run wanting to do more!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Jen said...

LOL. So what you are saying is that your sense of direction isn't that great? ;-)

Looking forward to catching up with you this week :-)

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

I'm with Mr Lulu; in that strange city you could've ran into John Howard.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Gronk said...

Gee you guys looked fresh considering you had been down to the Opera House already. Hope the ankle is a quick fix.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger CJ said...

Glad to hear that you found your way back ok!!! And hope the ankle is ok.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

hope your ankle is feeling ok today - thanks for keeping me company and keeping me going up them hills. was good fun! i don't think i even had the 'holy cr*p why am I doing this to myself, i am not meant to be a runner' thought once :)

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Canberra - sighs, many pleasant memories there (not the least of which was meeting Mrs W).

If you still have a garmin, have you tried using the bread crumb trail function? It's fantastic when you get lost.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger PortRunr said...

Are you ever in the one place for more than a week?! :)
Look after the ankle so it's in good shape for your next trip to Canberra.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

At least you didn't fall over and do a CJ.

That's a nice track. Of course, you could have run up to the summit of Red Hill and spotted your hotel from there ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home