Sunday, July 10, 2005

Howling gales on Heartbreak Hill

The weather this morning did not look very inviting at all for a long run. The wind was howling around our building and rattling the bedroom balcony doors as storm clouds chased across the ocean. Eventually we managed to get going and headed out, me kitted out in my wet weather gear of a cap and rain jacket.. Mr Lulu just in his shorts and T shirt.

The plan was to head down towards Rose Bay and do a reckie of Heartbreak Hill so we headed up to Bondi Junction with Mr lulu leading the way and doubling back to get me on occasion. He nearly lost me when I was sure I saw him turn left off Carrington and so I started off down there but then realised that he would have waited if he was making a turn so I went back to Carrington and there he was. After about 35 mins we were on the C2S course heading through Rose Bay and then at the bottom of Heartbreak Hill. We didn't run all the way up it but probably did 2 thirds before turning around and heading for home. It's not as bad as I thought it was and we did the steeper section, as it flattens off towards the top, so I'm confident that I'll make it up there OK on the day.

Heading back we went along the Rose Bay Golf Course and then up Old South Head Road. Now that is a much worse hill than Heartbreak and not made any easier by the fact that it was tipping down by now and we were running into the wind. I was glad to reach the top of the hill and cruise back down to Bronte. I arrived back home looking very bedraggled and soaking but feeling good about keeping a good pace throughout. Mr Lulu wasn't that far in front of me for most of the way.

A good 90 mins with a few niggles but feeling pretty good. I'm supposed to do 55 mins tomorrow so I'll see how I recover. I did ice my foot and achilles when I got back as a preventative measure so I'll see how they feel in the morning before deciding what to do.

2 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Sounds like you did a good run today Lulu - felt cold just reading about it! Glad to hear your C2S trainig is on track.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger miners said...

Have to agree with CJ - I read your post just as the sun was setting up here and now I'm freezing! The cold southerly hasn't abated and with the setting sun the cold windy skies are now turning grey. Not sure if I want to leave the lukewarm comfort of the office :(

Congrats on your recce of Heartbreak btw. You'll fly up it on the day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home