Sunday, July 31, 2005

The Sydney Sightseer

After yet another evening of wine (Riesling, Don Juan) and partying ( will I never learn) I woke up at 6.30, drank some juice and water and went back to bed for another hour or so. The plan today was to run into the City to retrieve the car and then head to North Sydney pool to meet up with some friends for Brunch. Being the organised being I am, the car had been pre-loaded with swimmers, clothes, drink etc before being abandoned in the City.

I wanted to do at least 1hr 45 today and so I decided to do a loop of Centennial before heading into the City. I went around the outside for about 3/4 of the way and then looped back to Paddington Gates and headed down Oxford St, dodging the drunks and being clapped by the bouncers from the night clubs. The sight seeing tour continued up to Mrs Maquarie's chair where I dodged copious amounts of tourists and the along Farm Cove to the Opera House. Down to Circular Quay and up the other side to the hotel and then back down George St to Mr Lulu's office and the car. A very scenic route and such a beautiful day to be alive and running through sparkling Sydney. Whenever I get homesick for Europe experiencing Sydney at it's best always makes me feel better.

I was so excited about trying out my new Target Coolmax socks and Skins running tights (bought for running but also to stop me getting a DVT when we go to Europe in 3 weeks) that I forgot to put Vaseline on. All I can say is I certainly felt the chafed bits when I plunged into the salt water of North Sydney pool for a couple of cool down laps..ouch!

It took me a while to warm up this morning but after about 50 mins I was chugging along very nicely and managed to keep up a good pace for the second half of the run. Garth tells me we did 16.08 km in 1 hr 46 mins with an average pace of 6.38/km which is not too bad over that distance and a lovely 985 cals.

I enjoy doing these long runs but must remember the Vaseline next time!
Because Garth starts the week on a Sunday I'm counting my km's per week from Sunday to Saturday so I'm off to a good start this week with 16km in the bank already. Last week was a little on the low side and I did a total of 36.5 km. This week will pick that back up a bit.

As I've only got three weeks until the 3 of us (me, Mr Lulu and Garth!) go to Europe I'm on a mission to be fit and fantastic for the trip. So this week will also see me return to the Pilates studio at least 3 times and I'd like to shift another couple of kilos so I'm going to keep track of that over the next few weeks as well.

Recovery jog and Pilates tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

If you run to Kemenys in Bondi Road, then there's good cab sav.

Good idea to leave bottles of reisling in the car and no one will bother knocking it off!

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger miners said...

Hey Lulu - great start to the week. I love Sydeny when it turns it on like that too. Glad to know the breathing seems to be settling down enough for a big run like that.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, make sure you post Garth's altitude readout during your flight to Europe ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home