Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Intervals cut short

Having had a couple of late nights and too much food due to the birthday festival I wasn't too enthusiastic about heading out in the cold this morning. However, the thought of Garth the Garmin awaiting his second trip out provided the extra incentive needed to get moving!

I did a couple of laps of the oval to warm up and felt somewhat sluggish. We did our drills and then got into the intervals. I was doing 4 x800 and the others 4 x1200. I went out relatively cautiously and did the first in 4.36 and then the second in 4.34. However, half way through the next lap I started to feel really tight in the chest as if I couldn't take in enough air so when I got back to Sean I told him and stopped. I walked for a bit and then jogged around the oval for three laps to see how I felt. Sean's view is that either I overdid it, but looking at the last time we did 800s I was going a little slower than that, or that the cold, dry winter air had triggered a mild asthma attack. I've never had asthma before but it's possible I suppose. Alternatively, it could just be the effects of a couple of late nights and too much yummy wine and food!

Anyway off to see the doc this afternoon to see what she thinks. I have to say even now my breathing doesn't seem to be 100% so we'll see what happens. Tomorrow I'll just take Garth for a gentle jog and see how we feel..

3 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had to cut today's session short. Maybe it was your body telling you to get back to the fun, food, wine & festivities. Hope you are ok tomorrow. J BTW - Garth the Garmin, I love it!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Hope you're feeling better and you're breathing has returned to normal. Good idea to get it checked out. Will be interested to hear how Garth operates!!!!

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger silverfox said...

Lulu

I just posted on Go Girls blog about running intervals when feeling fresh. So with a bit of birthday celebrations in you you probably werent at your premium. If you are really struggling with them you are best to stop, no point busting yourself with nothing to give. But try and treat then as a 'quality' session and you will reap a lot of benefit from them. Give yourself every opportunity to run them well and they will pay off. Good luck, I hope it wasnt asthma, that would be a bastard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home