Sunday, December 18, 2005

Go west young woman!

We were up at 5.15 to pack our bags and head west to Smithfield for the SMC races this morning. We were to pick up Don Juan from Rushcutters Bay at 5.45 and then set off through the contentious Cross City Tunnel and onto all points west. Actually it wasn't as far as we thought it was and we arrived at about 6.30 to find a few CRs gathering for the last race of the year.

We caught up with the Professor, O runner, Rags, and the legend Papa Luigi and a few others while we were registering. Luigi regaled us with tales of his marathon training run last weekend when he completed the full distance in 3.45 and so he's looking good for his debut marathon in Jan at the Hobart races. I don't think there's much doubt he'll cruise home! DJ was set on doing the half marathon so he headed off to the start leaving M rlulu and I kicking our heels before our 7.30 start. Go Girl arrived and then we all jogged over to the start line for the start of the 5 and 10km races.

We had a good start position and after a quick lecture by the starter it was on your marks, go and we were off. I kept to the side and let the quicker runners pass me on the slight incline away from the start area and then we were into the industrial park. Wide roads with factories on either side doesn't give you much to focus on apart from your running and the road. Belinda absolutely flew past me right at the start and I tried to keep her in sight as we headed out into quite a nasty head wind.

I thought I was in for another shocker when the first km past in 6.04 but then I just knuckled down and started plodding away and feeling pretty good. No niggles apparent and a nice open road in front. I could hear someone behind me, getting closer and with a really short stride which was a bit distracting as she was doing 2-3 strides to one of mine. I kept ahead of her until around the 2.5 mark turn around and then I could hear her gaining on me. She caught and past me at about 3.5km but I tried to pick up the pace and keep with her but she was off.

Into the last km and I had a cheer from Springer who had a calf injury and was spectating and I told mysel it was just 2 laps of a track to go, 1 lap of the track to go, 100m's to go and then the finish. Hooray it's a PB at long last! 28.25 . Previous 5km time was 30.21 so nearly a 2 min PB.

I felt quite sick and had to walk around a bit before I could have a drink and a chat with Nando and Rags before heading back up the road to see if I could see Mr lulu and Go Girl. Mr lulu had a shocker and was gallantly showing me that even he could have a very bad day running a 10km race. I ran with him to the finish trying to get him to outsprint someone which was fun. Then Go Girl came along and she was looking very strong and so I ran with her to the finish as well. Yet another PB, taking another 14 seconds off her PB last month which was fantastic.

Then we all walked back out to find DJ in the half. . We saw him coming down the final straight and then he suddenly veered off to the right and started to go up a side road. We shouted and whistled at him and he turned again and headed for the finish, clocking up a good time of 88.49.

After a chat with a few others such as sfGnome (showiing off his new wedding anniversary Garmin), Horrie and Belinda and Springer we started to get a bit chilled from the strong breeze so we walked back to the car. I walked back with John Dawlings who had won the 10km outright and was in very good spirits. Then we hopped back in Alfie and headed back East.

It's a great atmosphere and very supportive group of runners out there and I'll definitely be back next year to try another 5km and probably 10km at some stage. I was pleased with my splits which were 6.04, 5.38, 5.43, 5,43, 5.14, so I finished very strongly. Now I just need to be able to do that in a 10km race which is my aim for next year.

10 Comments:

At 8:51 PM, Blogger Jen said...

You will Lulu - I have no doubt about that :-)

Thank you to you and WTR for a lovely lunch today :-)

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

What a way to finish the year, a 2 minute PB in a 5k race. And how was that final km - awesome stuff!

Big congrats Lulu!!!!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Wooooohooo congratulations lulu - I'm so pleased you got your PB in! And what a PB - 2 mins!!!! Fantastic :-)

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger the_en4cer said...

Wow, a 2min PB - you gotta be happy with that. Terrific stuff!

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Good stuff Lulu. A great way to finish the year.

TA

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Again... awesome stuff Lulu!!! I agree that the SMC has a great atmosphere and the less stressful environment definately helps!! Enjoy your few weeks rest and we will see you in the new year to tackle all those 10kms :-)

Thanks for a great lunch yesterday... ray and I had a really nice time! We sat on balcony last night and dreamed about your view :-)

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Shane said...

2 min PB in a 5k, WOW that is awesome, congratulations, can't wait to read about the lead up to the 10k goal next year. Definently well on your way.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger miners said...

A 2 MINUTE PB!!! See, you are back, fit and fresh-legged after all. Melbourne was just Melbourne and was no reflection on how far you've come this year lulu - and in tough conditions as well!

Congratulations - we're all very, very proud

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Horrie said...

Great to see you guys out at SMC for your debuts. You certainly got your mojo back Lulu - fantastic effort for a 2 minute PB for 5km. As for Steve, we all have bad days and I'm sure he will bounce back with a few tips from you.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger speedygeoff said...

That is good running - finishing strong is a sure sign of improving fitness. Congrats on the PB.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home