Saturday, February 25, 2006

The week's update

A busy week but finally I've time to update the blog!

Bad Lulu decided to sabotage the week's running by leaving good lulu's orthotics at home. That's a good reason to not have two pairs of runners and only one pair of orthotics. I wasn't going to risk any set backs after my knee feeling so much better recently.

I did manage one session in the pool on Thursday morning though before having brekkie with the CR Brissie gals. It was great to finally meet Hannah, Cirque and Clairie and to see Tesso again. I'll be back soon.

Friday morning saw me back in the pool with Aqua Satan with a session consisting of:
Warm up and stretch
Strength exercises
Warm up run (5 mins)
Build intervals
10 x 1 min run intervals with either a jump or arm exercise in between
The pistol x 10 each leg ( basically a one legged squat on the stairs and without falling over)
Stretch
Collapse.
No. of black eyes; 0. I wore a running top instead of my swimming top.

Saturday I decided to head out for a run and being a bit bored with Queen's park and wanting to test my knee out on some more testing terrain I decided to do the old 2 beaches route. Down to Clovelly and back up the hills and through the cemetery. A total of 4km . The knee complained only once and it was minor after we'd been running on the road for 2km but didn't seem to mind going up and down hills which is good. Considering I haven't been near a hill for months I was quite surprised to find that I could do the course non-stop and actually felt really good energy wise; could Dr Ludka's cocktail be kicking in? We'll have to see what happens.

Will give it a further challenge tomorrow with another 6km on the grass in the park to see how it handles two days in a row. Since the beginning of Feb I've actually cut back on the mileage ( the second week I did nearly 20km) and I think that probably accounts for the improvement so I'm now going to try and build back up very gradually. I did 10km this week, should have been at least 14. So I'll start with doing 12 this week over three runs and see how we go. 6km tomorrow and then two shorter runs in the week.

7 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Sounds like a very sensible approach Lulu. When on the come back trail I forget about wearing a watch (particularly a Garmin) and just work on getting out and running without discomfort. Pace quickly returns once your body is used to, and able to run comfortably again.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

It was so lovely to meet you Lulu. I hope you come back soon. I'm glad your energy is starting to return.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Bad Lulu rocks!

Promising news on the knee and the hills.






(Pssst, don't listen to Mr Lulu, just get out there and go for broke)

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Good news on the runs Lulu. Gee, the 2 beaches route sounds so nice.

It was great to catch up again. Just wish we'd had more time to chat. Funny how we all seem to know eachother so well just through blogging!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Horrie said...

Glad to see you taking the sensible approach Lulu. Hope the recovery continues to go well.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Loved the photo of you guys in Brissie - sounds like a lovely catch up.

Also good to hear that your running is coming along nicely - no need to hurry things along so take it easy. Very sensible approach.

Also relieved to hear there were no black eyes in the pool!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger R2B said...

i'm with don juan...bad lulu rocks!
Without her you wouldnt appreciate yourself enough.
Ps my first big big race was the 2005 SMH too!
Remember the most important thing is to always enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home