Saturday, February 11, 2006

A good'un

I had an aborted mission with Aqua Satan yesterday as after doing all my stretches and strengthening I was going to do 20 mins of running but after 5 mins we pulled the pin as my itb on my right knee ( the dodgy one) started to complain. AS did some quick pulling and poking around and managed to losen it up but we decided not to continue with the water running. I'm not sure what triggered that as I've hardly done much all week due to the lurgy.

Anyway last night I was trying to work out what to do this morning and decided 'stuff it, I'm going for a run and nothing is going to stop me'. So this morning Mr lulu walked me up to the start of Queen's Park and then headed off and I started trotting down to the park.

It took me a 1km or so to warm up but then I felt pretty good so headed around an inside loop of the park and then back to Queen's Park. My taping came off my knee at about 3 km as the sweat made it loose and I should have put it on last night. Still it didn't seem to make much difference. I started to feel a slight niggle at about 4km but walked briefly and then started again and it seemed all OK. I walked/ran up the hill where Mr lulu appeared and we walked back home as I'd done 6km and he was very firm that that was enough... good thing one member of the family is sensible.

So far no ill effects but I'll see what it's like in the morning. Lots of ice, rolling on the rolling pin and some anti-inflam cream has been applied and so I'm Hoping that I can do another short run tomorrow. I might be pushing my luck here but I'll just make it a very short one to see what happens and only if nothing is painful.. promise!

I feel much better having run 6km and I was feeling pretty good for most of it, got into a good rhythm and ran most km in around 6.15 pace which is not too bad; for me anyway. If I can do that few times next week I'll feel as if I'm making some progress.

12 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Thats very good news Lulu ! Don't do it tomorrow unless you feel 100% !

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Thats very good news Lulu ! Don't do it tomorrow unless you feel 100% !

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Well done mate - now treat yourself to an afternoon with a good book and rest. Oh, and listen to Gronk!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

Hi Lulu - good news on the run! Yes - my run did cure my hangover, although not sure that it has helped the tiredness...

I don't have any coolrunning gear yet but might have to get a hat so that i can say hi to you if we cross paths. Or I might wait until I can keep up a respectable pace so i don't embarass myself!

E

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Horrie said...

That's fantastic news Lulu. No need to rush the recovery or it could be a case of 1 step forward and 2 steps back. It's best to be patient. I know how hard it is but you want to be back running and enjoying it.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Aki said...

Stretch, voltarin with glad wrap, massage and ice 4 times a day if you can manage it. Make sure you're running on softer surfaces at the moment, and stop the moment it hurts, otherwise you're making it hang around longer.

I know how frustrating this is, but don't overdo it. You've got great determination, btw.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Hey Hey!!! Thats Brillaint!!! I knew you were too stubborn to let the pesky knee keep you down! Nothing like being a type A to get us out the door ;-) As has already been said only run if it feels ok! I am sure Mr Lulu will keep an eye on you!!!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Yeh, ignore those pesky niggles. It's great not to be sensitive. Love it.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Good to hear Lulu! Must be a good feeling to be back out there again.

Fingers crossed you are on the road to full recovery.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

"Pushing your luck" - good
"Pushing your luck too far" - bad

Good luck sorting the good from the bad :-)

sfG

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Well done Lulu - I love your spirit but yeah be careful on when you run next ok? I certainly hope it is tomorrow though :-)

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger miners said...

Really great to see lulu - hope the recovery is good for you too. As you said, if you just take it sensibly each week, and then fit one of these runs in somewhere, you'll at least be enjoying yourself :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home