Thursday, June 15, 2006

To the castle

Where my parents live in England is on the South Coast on the Eastern side of the county of Dorset. They live in a great spot about 5 mins walk from the local harbour (complete with local fisherman) and a few minutes drive from the very picturesque New Forest (think white thatched cottages in little tree lined lanes). Even though it's called the New Forest it's not new as is was planted as a place to go hunting by Henry the VIII so is probably 500 years old now. It was a great place to live as a teenager; my Dad taught me how to sail in on the harbour and I spent a lot of time falling of horses in the New Forest.

I also used to spend quite a bit of time on the beach in the summer at Highcliffe Castle which is not really a castle but it a big country house on the top of the cliffs overlooking the beach. It's still pretty impressive and is used for events these days. Below the castle used to be a nice sandy beach which is still slightly sandy but has deteriorated to an English pebbly beach in most places.

For my run yesterday I decided to re-visit the castle beach. I headed out from Mum and Dad's and down to the harbour. I ran along the promenade and past all the beach huts until the path runs out and you're on the beach. I laboured through some thick sand before finding a slightly more stable bit of beach to run on. Fortunately I didn't have to run too far before I came to the zig zag path that goes up to Highcliffe Castle. I'd done about 4km now so although I considered continuing on I decided to turn back as I haven't done any long runs since I've been away and didn't want to overdo it and upset my pathetically fragile legs.

Up at the castle I followed the cliff path back towards Mudeford where my parents live. This passes through some woods before dropping back down to the beach at the end. A quick trot back along the roads and arrived at home in about 47 mins for 7.2km. I've tried to upload the Garmin image but it's not being very co-operative today.

Pleased to report that the niggles were very marginal. The troublesome left quad/itb only complained briefly towards the end but it was probably a good thing I didn't try and do too much more and my only concern is the left adductor/hammie which was a bit sore most of the way. Fortunately I'll be back in Sydney next week so can go back to Easy Tiger for post holiday repair work!

I'm starting to get a bit stressed about coming back as I've recently found out I've got to go to Redcliffe and Maroochydore the day after I land back in Sydney so I'm already trying to do some work so I have a head start. I've a meeting in London tomorrow and then the weekend catching up with various friends before I head back to Sydney on Monday afternoon UK time, landing on Tuesday night Sydney time. See you all then!

5 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Doesn't everyone's parents have a castle in the back yard? Hehe.

Sounds like a fantastic place for a run Lulu. Looking forward to catching up with you soon.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger PortRunr said...

I really enjoyed reading that post Lulu...you set the scene perfectly :)
Sounds like a busy few days ahead. Have a safe trip back.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger R2B said...

That was a great holiday post Lulu!
You really did set the scene perfectly!
Kodak would probably spoil this one so leave it in your imagination!

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

What a nice place to run at! Post some pictures of it if you have a chance!

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

I want the photos:
not that your english was lacking in any powerful imagery.

Send Mr Lulu to Maroochydore too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home