Saturday, May 06, 2006

A day at the races

Mr grandfather used to train racehorses and had a string of horses; I had a string of runners to shepherd out to the races this afternoon. Along with Mr lulu we picked up Don Juan and Sparkie and headed out to the NSW road running championships to be held at Holsworthy army barracks. After Mr lulu showing his ID and the rest of us restraining from making Osama jokes we were admitted into the barracks. I didn't see one soldier the whole time which was a little disappointing as I do like a man in uniform.

After parking the car and paying Mr lulu's registration I headed off to do my own run around the course. I had 45 mins on the programme today so I did one lap of the course and then went out a short distance and back again, covering 6.5 km in 42 mins. I passed a few of the boys warming up and made it back to the start in time to give Mr lulu and DJ the low down on the course and then assume my position to take photos.

The starters gun went off and the pack came by with Mr lulu in the middle of the pack with Blue Dog on his tail. My other runners Sparkie and DJ were also looking in good form. I had 15 mins or so to kill before they came around again so I introduced myself to Easy Tiger and Knoxie's wives and we formed a mini cheersquad cheering on anyone we knew as they went past.

Knoxie was the first to appear but not in the lead much to Mrs Knoxie's disappointment. Then came Tiger who on the first lap was only 15 secs ahead of DJ. I had brokered a bet between the two of them and Tiger had to beat DJ by 50 secs. Mr lulu was looking strong but still had Blue Dog on his tail. They disappeared off into the distance and we past the time cheering on others and gossiping. What else can running wives do?

They approaced the finish, Knoxie appearing in about 7th I think (can't find the official results anywhere yet) . Easy Tiger appeared without DJ hot on his tail. In fact there was only a 55 sec gap so it was pretty close and they both ran PBs: Tiger doing 36.01 and DJ 36.56 so great running from them both.

Mr lulu appeared but now Blue Dog had overtaken him and was slightly ahead. Mr lulu finished around 40.30 which was under the 41 mins he wanted so he's pretty happy with that considering the stage of his training. Sparkie didn't have a great run ( by his standards!) running 38.xx. He'll be back in form soon enough though I'm sure.

The boys went off for their cool down run and I started passing out the muffins I'd made this morning for the runners. Very popular were my pear and lemon muffins so I'll have to make them a regular item at race meets in the future. A fun day.

We had a fun night last night too with lots of CRs in town; Portrunnr and Minersrun from Port Macquarie and Tesso from Brissie so we all enjoyed a nice dinner at an Italian at the rocks.

Minersrun stayed at the lulu house last night and I got up just in the nick of time to wish him luck at 5.20 before he headed off to run a PB of 39.08 at the Striders 10km. Seems like it was a good day for running today.

5 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I hope there are some muffins left over for tomorrow....

:-)

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

I got the last muffin; they disappeared like hot cakes. The punters were impressed.

Thanks for the cheers track-side.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Sounds like a great day Lulu!! Sorry I did not make it... caught up with Wedding anniversary stuff which to be honest was also a brilliant day :-) See you soon! Congrats to Steve... they are all running so well!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Sounds like a great day Lulu!! Sorry I did not make it... caught up with Wedding anniversary stuff which to be honest was also a brilliant day :-) See you soon! Congrats to Steve... they are all running so well!

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger vat_man said...

The punters were very impressed! Thanks for your support, Lulu!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home