Thursday, May 04, 2006

BAck to fartlek

I was a bit concerned that I wouln't be able to get around the park at pace after not doing many long runs but apparently I needn't have worried.

A quick couple of laps of the oval to warm up and then we were off. Again it was a big group of us with people like Fats, Sparkie and Liz Miller leading the charge and then a big middle of the pack and then us tail enders. Billy Idol was there today and had an interesting running style keeping his hands in his pockets. I'm not sure he's totally grasped the concept of surges either as he appeared to walk some of them.

Ellie and I mostly stuck together and I felt strong at the beginning, died in the middle going up that @#$% of a hill on York Road and then picked it up towards the end.

My km splits were 5.33, 6.06, 6.10, 6.43, 6.44, 6.16 and 6.08 so now I have a bench mark for improving over the next few months. Av pace was 6.17. It's the hill in the middle that really drops my pace back.

I took the shorter option today as I was beginning to fatigue and thought I'd quit whilst I was ahead. I'm sure Sean won't be letting me get away with that for long! All in all feeling good and no niggles. I'm particularly pleased that the right knee which had the tendonitis is feeling totally pain free. Obviously between Easy Tiger and the physio exercises I am keeping on top of it.

10 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Hahahaha... I love the visuals of Billy with his hands in his pockets :-)

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Top stuff lulu. Don't worry about the hill - as your strength increases and your energy systems adapt it will become easier - rather than dread it, see it as a measure of your progress.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo. Awesome Lulu. I'm so happy for you. Billy Idol was running with his hands in his pockets??? Yikes. I might have to come down to SWEAT one day to see if he matches the mental image I have of him.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger R2B said...

Well done Lulu!
Having a benchmark is a top idea that i'm gonna have to pinch until i get back into form!
14 weeks to C2S and i can't wait!!

Cheers R2B

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Aki said...

I think I ran the first part of the Terry Fox fun run last year with my hands in my pockets. Very good strategy! I think I did it on Sunday morning again too, and lots of other times... ;p

Good on you for taking on that hill!

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Clairie said...

Great to hear you are running painfree Lulu.

Keep up the good work with the stretches.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger PortRunr said...

Excellent, good to see the k's really ticking over lately. I'm looking forward to this evening!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

With his hands in his pockets maybe Billy Idol is too busy grasping something else to grasp the concept of surges :-)

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Glad the knee is behaving Lulu. Billy is just using the frosty Canberra morning running style.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

I think Billy is a bit keen on you, but playing hard to get.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home