Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bit of a tempo

The doona was weighed down with lead this morning and I was unable to get out from under it when the alarm went off at 5.30. Mr lulu didn't seem to have the same problem on his side of the bed as he was out at 5.

My first appointment for the day was with Jerry the physio. After some prodding and poking the verdict was pronounced that I still have tendonitis in the right knee but that it's not serious (grade 2 which means it hurts during the run but doesn't get any worse). He then proceeded to give me masses of strengthening exercises to do for the glutes, hips and VMO. By strenthening up these areas it will take the pressure off the knee and hopefully it will be able to get better. In the meantime he didn't tell me to stop running. I didn't ask specifically though ;)

Next on the list for a visit today was Easy Tiger. I was armed with some instructions from Jerry for ET regarding loosening up the hip rotators, external and internal. This basically meant some glute loosening as well as some attention to the usual suspects the achilles and itbs.

I did manage to squeeze in some work in between all this running related activity, which is a good thing if I am to continue to fund Easy Tiger's lifestyle.

Once I'd done some work and was back at home I headed out for my missed run of this morning. This was a bit of a faster run. I did 10 mins warm up and then set Garth to pace me for 20 mins at 6.05m/km. Despite a nasty headwind and a slight incline for half of it I managed to stay slightly ahead of Garth and finished the 20 mins @ 6 min pace. Hardly blistering but it's a start. I did this run in my new shoes which involved protecting my heel with numerous layers of band-aids, tape, cushioning stuff and body glide. It worked and no further damage was done; yay! I found them better to run in today than the first couple of times and they definitely provide more support. Jerry the physio also thought that they were better for me than the Locos so I'll keep taping my heel so I can use them.

Next on the list was to do the strengthening exercises which took me about 40 mins and include lots of bridging, clams and side leg rises for the glutes, and squats, one leg squats and side dips for the VMO. I've got to find time to do these every day before I go back to see Jerry again in 2 weeks. I've also got to buy a balance cushion thingie to improve my balance. I'll be off to Rebel tomorrow to see if I can track one down.

That's it for now. Hope to be able to lever myself out of bed for a short run tomorrow morning.

Food:
B: Tropical PS
MT: Tropical snack bar
L: As B
AT: 2 crispbread with cottage cheese
D: Bean and sausage casserole, yoghurt.

6 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger vat_man said...

Lulu - it's not the doona, it's gravity. Since the temperature went down, gravity has increased between 5:15am and 7:00am. We have the same problem at our place.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Jen said...

You are going to have one tight butt by the time you head back to Jerry. Lucky WTR ;-)

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Hilda said...

Good news on that knee, looks like you are overcoming all this finally!

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Ummm. Are you going to have any time to sleep with all that extra work? Still, it'd save you the problems of getting back up the next morning! :-)

Gnome

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Tesso said...

I know how you feel about the time it takes to do all the physio exercises, mine take forever. It seems to make them go faster if you do them while watching tele.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Good on you Lulu - I'm glad you made Garth look silly!

Running is not that simple, is it? Tape, bodyglide, physio, massage...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home