Sunday, May 14, 2006

There's hope yet

...for my creaky old knees. Mr lulu and I drove down to Centennial Park this morning so I had the car to hand in case we had a repeat of last weekend's run. As we were about to set off Don Juan appeared with one of the two girls that made up Sean's pack. The rest are at Sean's camp.

So we all set off together.... for about 10 metres before the boys started to disappear. I was quite happy to follow in their wake. All felt good and it was great running on what felt more like an English autumn day than an Australian one. Cool and damp and overcast. Good of the weather to acclimatise us before we get on the plane for England soon.

After the first km the boys kindly came back to check on me and then hurtled off again. They reappeared on the York Street hill and then again on the down hill section. A bit like running with the fartlek group and it certainly helped me keep going, chasing them along. In fact I was running faster than my long run pace should be but as I didn't know how long I was going to be able to run for I just carried on.

DJ stopped when we get back to the Oval and I followed Mr lulu. He thought I'd gone a different way so didn't come back for me any more and he soon disappeared into the distance. When I got back to the car I'd been going 45 mins and only having the odd little twinge in my knee. I decided not to push my luck too much though and had a short walk break of 6 mins, stretched out my quads and then did another 10 mins loop around part of Queen's park and back to the car again.

In total about 9kms in an hour including my walk break. Running average speed was 6.09 so I'm very happy with that. My left latteral quad has definitely tightened up a bit again but not as bad as before so hopefully it's on the mend and I didn't get the sharp sudden knee pain I've felt in the last few runs. I'm off to see Easy Tiger again tomorrow so hopefully he'll be able to work his magic again and keep me on the road. I'm feeling much more hopeful it's nothing serious after that run today.

14 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

Very pleased to see you back in the swing of things without any major pains! hope to see you back at sweat again soon :)

and please say thankyou to Mr Lulu for the comment! i was also nearly at the end of my run when I saw him yesterday!

see you soon,
E

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Wobbly man said...

A promising run Lulu - great stuff! I have fingers crossed that your knee woes are well behind you..

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I'm so pleased to hear that you went well today Lulu. Great news!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Lulu, that's great!!! 9k and none of that knee pain. You give me hope :-)

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Excellent Lulu!!! Tiger will sort you out... I can't see him til Friday boo hoo! I am wound so tight on one side I am almost a boomarang! Until then Ray will have to do :-) (Don't let him hear me say that!!)

See you soon!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Good run today. You were bobbing up everywhere around the park.

Hope my running action up York Rd looked as smooth as yours today. I've been working on it for a while.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Very promising Lulu. By the way, I know that feeling well of being the person the faster (mostly younger) runners are always coming back for. One day I must hide behind a convenient tree!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger silverfox said...

Lulu great to see positive news. We are in a similar boat, we just have to stay patient and chip away at it. Buzz word is incrimental(sp) for us both I think!

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Looking good loping lulu ;-)

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger miners said...

Yay!!!!! However, I thought you said you were back on the bench?

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger CJ said...

You're chugging along Lulu and that's good to hear. How long to your trip?

My boys weren't at the finish of the half on Sunday - they weren't even awake at that time! I did have some chocolate - 4 eensy weensy chocs after lunch - very noice!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger PortRunr said...

I hope the knee improvement continues along these lines for you after a good run there Lulu :)

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger R2B said...

Good work Lulu!
Hope you enjoy your English sojourn.

R2B

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

Nice way to go on, just keep going is the secret, uh? Ignore the rest.

Then you are traveling, will you run in GB?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home