Friday, July 07, 2006

The plan

Despite another absence from blogsville I have been working on the plan for getting me to the start of my planned races this year.

In consultation with Easy Tiger we decided another couple of weeks of no running might be advisable to try and get my lateral quad/itb and adductor problems to disappear. At the moment as soon as I start running they start creeping back so they're obviously not ready.

The next step was to go and get my orthotics checked out by the lovely Caleb. Caleb is not only a top runner (3rd in Gold Coast 10km) he's an excellent podiatrist, and wrote his thesis on running shoes so we figured he'd know what he was talking about. After an hour with him and with me running up and down the corridor in his practice trying not to knock over any small children who were visiting the neighbouring doctor he made his prounouncement. Basically, I'm doing everything right. He feels I have very good core strength (thanks Pilates!) and knee and hip strength due to the exercises I've been doing. He also said for a runner at my level I've got a very efficient running style, which was good to hear. Oh and he muttered something about problems with tib post tendinitis.. oh goodie another potential injury to add to my catalogue.

So the strength is there, it's just not converting into running somehow. So he gave me a few more functional exercises related to running and told me I needed new shoes. Now you might remember I recently bought some new Brooks running shoes and I've never really liked them. Turns out my instincts were good; they're not right for me. In fact they made me pronate more. Caleb works at running science on Sunday's so I will be paying him a visit on Sunday to get something more suitable. He's not a big fan of Loco's. He thinks I can do better. Not only that but Easy Tiger is going to meet us there so he can find out what Caleb says so he knows better what to work on... how's that for service..

So, that was all very encouraging which is what I needed at this stage as I was beginning to get a bit dispondent about it ever getting better. There's hope for the old girl yet!

In terms of exercise this week, I had three days rest and then received a firm boot up the bottie from the lovely 2P to get me moving and I did a Spin Class yesterday and 40 mins water running this morning. I forgot how much I quite like doing water running. At least I feel like I'm getting a running related work out!

So I'm off to Pilates this afternoon and tomorrow I'll do Pilates and Spin and probably a longer water running session on Sunday.

9 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Good to see you have a plan Lulu. I hope that time off solves the niggle problems. I sure know how you feel on the niggle front. :)

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Cirque said...

WOW - what a thorough assessment! Sounds like it can't fail. Good luck with the new shoes. I hope they recommend pretty ones.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Shane said...

How good is that, you have some great people looking after you. Fingers crossed this will be the turning point to your issues and I can begin reading all about your comeback events.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Sounds like a good plan lulu - great to know I can put my steel toe caps away ;-)

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Katie said...

First class service!!! Woo Hoo! hopefully that will sort you out~ amazing how important the shoes are!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Gosh Lulu, you are being looked after aren't you. When you do hit the road again you are going to be so strong.

And thanks, you have me inspired to finally go to Pilates and spinning at my gym after threatening it for months.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Keep with your plan, Lulu! Look forward to following your progress....yoou'll do it!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Bernie G said...

Happy to hear your now have some direction. I hope to see you out and about soon.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

aw lulu - who wouldn't want to give you the best service? you deserve it! i hope that you found some great shoes and in a few weeks you'll be back to perfect condition. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home