Sunday, December 31, 2006

Another year in the bag!

So that's the end of 2006 then. At the end of last year I wrote some goals that I wanted to achieve this year and a few have been achieved.

I managed to lose some weight, not as much as I would have liked, but at least it's going in the right direction. I think that some of the health issues that have plagued me for the last few years seem to be coming under control and I don't suffer from the fatigue that I used to.

Direct running goals haven't been so successful mainly because training was limited in the first half of the year due to injury, so 2007 is the year to achieve some running goals, namely getting my 10km down to below 55 mins and my half time down to 2 hours. I'm not interested in increasing the distance at this stage until I can consistently train for half marathons without breaking myself.

I'm a lot stronger than I was last year too, with all the strengthening, pilates and physio exercises I've had to do. Special thanks to Easy Tiger for being more obsessed with getting me back on the road than I was sometimes. Hurry up and get back from your holiday will you so you can fix my itb!

Mr lulu has had a great second half of the year and is probably running the best that he has in the 7 years we have been together. I must be looking after him well! (Maybe Sean has had something to do with it too.) His times over the half and 10km have really started to improve and perhaps his PBs from 10-20 years ago will get a shake in 2007.

So onto 2007 where my main goal is train consistently and build on the training of the last 4 months. I'm not off to a great start as I'm definitely carrying a bit of an injury to my TFL/itb but I'm hoping that it won't keep my out of action for too long. It seems I can run short distances until the TFL tightens and in turn tightens my itb. Lots of stretching and rolling about on the tennis ball is happening, as well as more glute strengthening. A short test run to see what progress is being made is on the cards tomorrow.

The highlight of the year for me has been the friends that I have made through running, CR and blogging. I used to do most of my running on my own but now most of my runs, certainly my long runs and SWEAT sessions, are done with friends and that has been great. Having lived in Sydney for nearly 9 years now it wasn't until I made all my running friends that I really felt I belonged here. Now on most runs I will bump into someone I know. Even better, I can travel all around the country and meet up with fellow runners for a run, lunch or coffee. I still have a hankering for Europe and my friends and family in the UK, but Mr lulu takes me back there often enough that I can deal with that.

So thank you to all of you I run with, email and exchange comments on blogs. Happy new year to you all and may 2007 be full of running, laughter, and PBs!

10 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

Wow - it has been a rollercoaster running year for you lulu - I hope so much that 2007 is consistent and injury free so you can let loose the radcliffe within :)

I can honestly say that you have probably been the number one influence on my running. Without you running those first 30 and 40 min runs with me I most likely wouldn't have kept going. How far we've come!! I've loved every minute of it - especially our long slow chatty runs.

I know what you mean about the running friends too - now I really feel like this is home. cool huh?

Take care and see you in a few hours!

E x

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Jen said...

You certainly belong here Lulu!! I sooo miss our girls Sunday long runs + brunch. Must get back into the habit of joining you girls very soon.

My love to you & WTR. I can't begin to thank you for all your support, advice & kicks up the butt. May 2007 bring you all health, happiness, laughter, love & running that you desire!

Jxx

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

Another good post Lulu - especially the last two paragraphs. All the best to you and Mr Lulu for 2007. I might catch you at a half marathon or 10k somewhere :)

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Happy new year to you both! It has been a big year... I hope 2007 brings you lots of joy and happiness. I am going to dust off my blog for the new year. See you on Tuesday!

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Yay - the cackleberry let me in!

Have a fantastic New Year Lulu I can't wait to see those goals start to fall like so many dominos in '07.

If you ever want a pacer for the 10k and half just rattle my cage ;-)

Stay safe and enjoy :-)

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Happy New year Lulu!!!!!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Happy new year to you and family, I am sure that the 2007 will bring you the sub 55 (10 k) and the sub 2 hours (half marathon).
Take care.....and see you the next year!
You are welcome in the Black Knight Army, Lady Lulu.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

Hope this starting year you continue searching and improving your goals, you've made me think on perfection or nothing...

Health and happines from the Dominican Rep!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

You've summed it all up so nicely Lulu. Life just wouldn't be the same without running, CR, and even blogging.

Have a great 2007. No doubt we'll catch up in there somewhere.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Thank you and Mr Lulu too for a memorable year.

My blog has been updated thanks to your prompting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home