Friday, January 19, 2007

1 step forward and 2 back

A short run this morning of only about 1.5km before I resorted to walking. It's my own fault as I did a Step class in the gym on Weds and it irritated my hip. Silly, silly, silly.

I've been keeping pretty busy with Pilates etc and have even ventured into the swimming pool a few times and I think I'll stick to swimming and water running for now as I know that doesn't make things worse.

I had an interesting trip to the physio this morning. CR Brizza was recommended to me by CR Colin. Brizza works in the rehab unit of the local private hospital so my appointment was in the presence of lots of oldies doing their rehab and asking Brizza what he was doing with the young girl..hehe. They seemed to particularly enjoy me running up and down the corridor and doing glute stretches.

Brizza is a biomechanist/physio and I wanted his view on whether there was something fundamental that needed addressing or if there were any particular weaknesses. The verdict was that biomechanically not bad, which is good. He felt I was probably over-training and pushing my body over the pain threshold, not just running but doing 3 or 4 other sessions a week of pilates and gym. So I need to scale back a bit and build back up very gradually. Otherwise I'm always running with tired bits or muscle imbalances. He's added a few extra stretches and strengthening exercises to my ever growing repertoire. My niggling achilles is caused by a very stiff back of the foot that only massage will keep at bay.

He also recommended taking fish oil as it's a natural anti-inflammatory and should raise my tolerance to injuries a bit. Other than that there's not a whole lot more I can do and I've got the sort of body/skin type that is susceptible to soft tissue injury. Good things to do are swimming, water running, spin/cycling, pilates and yoga. Bad things are Step (found that out the hard way), lunges and squats. I thought that was interesting considering how often physios give you that to do. I should do my leg stengthening with ankle weights so I'm not working against my biomechanics which I am if I do squats and lunges and the foot is anchored on the floor.

He also told me I run like a tri-athelete. Not sure what that means but I'm sure it's a good thing!

So as I run like a triathlete I did a swim squad session last night which was good fun and really hard work. I was glad I was using fins for most of it. The instructor picked up some fundamentals such as I'm not really using my arms; you can't get much more fundamental than that! I'm trying to use my legs too much and also, I'm not taking enough air in with each breath so I'm getting puffed really quickly. Lots to work on there and it will give me something to play with while I'm not doing much running.

13 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

time to get a road bike? (insert evil grin...)

i'm glad nothing it hugely wrong - lets go for a swim together soon!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Looks like you're back on the right track. With practise you'll reverse the 25: 1 ratio of time doing exercises to running.

Running like a triathlete means swanning about in sleeveless lycra doing high-5s.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger R2B said...

Well the great thing is now you know!

Perhaps you should give all that other stuff away and stick to the wonderful running??
Hehe

Good on you Louise!

Cheers R2B

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

I hope the young girl is back to normal soon :)

If you run like a good triathlete (i.e. an Emma Snowsill), that is a good thing. If he meant like a triathlete 14 hours into an IM, not so good ;)

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

That's interesting about the squats and lunges, I find they sometimes do cause the odd twinge.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Don't listen to Ellie - you don't want to take up that silly sport do you? ;-)

There is a lot of good news in there Lulu. It seems overdosing on pilates has caused both of us some problems. Scott has a theory about doing 'other' stuff can give your bod mixed messages (of course he will express it much better than me!)

Keep smiling chicky. You have some answers now. One day at a time and YOU WILL GET THERE. I know :-)

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Running like a triathlete - hmmm, I wonder what I run like? But then I don't consider myself a tirathlete at th emoment so do I run differently? All these things tocontemplate!!!! Hope your biomechanical probs sort themselves out. I've always been a firm believer in the power of chocolate!!!!

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Good news about being biomechanically ok and bad news that you have to come up with a new training regime. Let's hope all this turns you into a 2 steps forward and none back young girl :)

TA

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger miners said...

I like ellie's idea ;)

keep up the swimming lulu - however, be careful with the fins. I use them for training as well - but that's because they give your legs such a big owrkout. The extra resistance is great for strengthening. Might not be so good for recovering from an injury.

Take it east triathlete-wife :)

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger miners said...

and as for DJ and the FHG (insert poking out tongue smiley here)

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

That will keep your strenght up and soon you will be on the road again. Great you could find out and get helped.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Looks like I will need to loan you my bubble wrap for a while - it'll help you float in the pool too ;-)

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

Your injuries and mine seem strangly similar, could be cause we are the same age, I guess. Anyway the fish oil sounds like something I could try.

By the way I used your idea of wraping my ankles with "glad wrap and cream" over night and it did the trick.

Don't do too much cross training running is where you belong ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home