Sunday, January 07, 2007

Not a good start to the year

A quick update on where I'm up to. Not very far is the answer. I tried a slower run on Thursday but sadly my hip/itb still gave me trouble after a km or two. I plodded on. It started really pouring with rain and I was heading back to home thinking I was going to have to walk the last few kms home rather than do any further damage. Not so. As if by magic my shining knight in a shining Alfa (Mr lulu) drew up along side me as I plodded up Alison Rd. He'd been out doing the final measure of the Centennial Park CR 5km course and his timing was perfect!

So it looks like even slow running is a small problemette despite my optimism.

Friday I was sulking and couldn't even muster the energy for the gym but I did perk up when I had coffee with Ellie and Jen in the city. I also had fun being the time keeper, and drinks stop on the CR 5/10km summer series held at Centennial Park. I acted as marshall, starter, gave people their splits, gave Mr lulu a pep talk at the 5km point, and then provided drinks. I'd like to have been running but if you can't run, cheer or support is the CR motto!

Saturday I was fed-up with being fed-up so I went to the gym and did 15 mins on the bike, and 15mins on the elliptical machine to establish if either of those was an option whilst running is off the menu. Seems that either are OK and didn't aggravate my hip/itb as long as I didn't push the resistance too much. Followed off with a Pilates class.

Sunday I went down to Clovelly with my water belt to do some water running. I'd been for a bit of a swim Sat afternoon so I knew the water was chilly at the moment but it was freezing this morning. I lasted 35 mins before my feet and hands were numb and I staggered out onto the beach. Followed up by some stretching and strengthening whilst waiting for Mr lulu to appear.

He'd done a nice 24 km run and finished off with a very cooling dip in the water.

Fortunately, Easy Tiger is back tomorrow and I'm booked in at lunchtime so we'll see what he has to say. I've also been given (by CR Colin) a physio who is a runner and a biomechanist so I might try and see him this week and see what he verdict is. I'm doing various glute and calf strengthening but it's probably a good idea to get a proper diagnosis before I go much further.

19 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Keep smiling chicky. You WILL overcome this. Trust me :-)

If you need perking up again this week - or are in the city - I'll be free for pilates or another coffee. Otherwise I will see you Friday night - looking forward to it :-)

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

definitely a good idea to fix yourself up first! i am also free for any coffee...lindt...lunch excursions as required :)

take care of yourself!

x

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Bugger :-(

Good luck with ET and with the physio. Hopefully once the exact cause of the problem is pinpointed there will be no turning back.


PS Fed-up with being fed-up :-) Can I use that line sometime?

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Shane said...

That's a shame Lulu, hopefully the Physio and ET will sort it out for you. In the mean time take it easy :-)

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Is that a King Prawn Poblemette? OK so that joke didn't work... Your time will come Lulu - stick with it mate.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

I hope between Easy Tiger and The Colin you can get it sorted Lulu.

Good luck. It's too nice outside to be stuck in the gym.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Yep, bugger.

Fingers and toes crossed.

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger Neese said...

water running sounds interesting, hope you are back to running soon, take care :o)

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Hang in there; help is on its way.

I love a woman who pep talks.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

Cold water running, woow you are brave!

Better days ARE on your way definitely! Keep on the cross training!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger miners said...

oooh ... not the way to start 07. It's sounding dramatically similar to the start of 06 at this stage isn't it? Hope the water belt comes in useful at the pool (or even at Centennial Park from the sounds). Really looking forward (and have fingers crossed) to seeing a "success" posting after your visit with Gary :)

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

35 minutes is *plenty* long enough with the water belt anyhow! Otherwise, you'll either freeze or go insane, whichever comes first :-)

I loved the 'If you can't run, cheer' quote. That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it.

Gnome

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Take care :-)

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Horrie said...

Hope you get yourself straightened out soon Lulu and we are able to see your smiling face back at SWEAT. Coffee and chocolate with the girls sounds good while you can't run though!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Bernie G said...

I hope to see you back at SWEAT soon, so take care.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

So sorry to hear that you've not got off to the start you wanted :-(

But you WILL get there, ET won't let you give up for starters!!! And neither will the rest of us ;-)

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Take care and take it easy. I think I have solved my problem running shorter distances without pushing every other day.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger PortRunr said...

Sorry to hear running is off the menu for the moment Lulu, but sounds like you're keeping busy and hope you're back at it again soon.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger R2B said...

I sincerely hope the physio can fix you for good Lulu!
It would be a tradgedy any other way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home