Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Lake time trial #1

Four laps of the lake as a time trial was on the programme today, about 5.7km. I haven't done one of these before and having discussed my plan with assistant coach Easy Tiger we agreed that I'd do it at just quicker than 10km pace, as a practice for Canberra.

After the warm up and drills we headed up to the lake and I lined up with Billy Idol and we headed off. I quickly dropped Billy and tried to settle into the right pace, but felt really sluggish and my legs didn't feel like working. After the first lap I started catching up with some of the other girls in my group who had gone out faster and I suddenly started feeling a lot better; amazing what some overtaking will do for you! On the third lap I caught and overtook a couple of other girls and then I was on my own. On the second half of the fourth and final lap I saw mr lulu jogging back to me, having finished his own TT. He kept me going on the final section, trying to get me to take deeper breaths as by now I was beginning to suffer a bit... and then it was over for a total time of 33.35. I was really pleased with how I ran the last 3.5kms as the pace was getting a bit quicker which is encouraging. 1km splits were 6.05, 6.18 (oops),6.03, 5.45, 5.35, 5.45(pace) and an average speed of 5.55 which was pretty much spot on for what I was attempting, although my pacing left a bit to be desired!

Even better is I have no niggles, not a thing for the first time in ages.. yippee! Now I just need to keep it like that. I'm off to see the achilles guru now and hopefully she'll give me the nod to start gradually increasing my kms... it will be very gradual.. so gradual my body won't even notice!

5 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Good to see you teach that Billy Idol a thing or two :-)

Looking very good for Canberra!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo! That's fantastic Lulu. You are going to have an awesome race in Canberra. I'm only sorry that I won't be along for the ride - but you should find me. I'll be the one with the cow bell on the sidelines screaming 'go lulu gooooo'

:-)

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I clearly remember the day I wrote in our blog "...finished the run and realised that nothing hurt!". It's a nice feeling, isn't it? :-)

Gnome

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

That's really encouraging Lulu! The 5.35 was flying. Zero in on the right pace and you'll run a great 10k :)

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

That sounds like a great begining, starting easily so that the body don't note it, I'll take note!

Thanks for keep visiting me Lulu, I started posting again, is just that I had to move, now you can find me at:

www.wanttorunmore.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home