Sunday, October 23, 2005

Hot and hard 8km

What a nasty little race that was! Very hot on the course and that hill which didn't seem to bad on my recce of the course turned into a mountain, particularly on the second lap. The good news is that thanks to some absolute scorchers from the CR boys the team managed to win the team event. Good thing they weren't relying on the me though!

I started off fairly well and thought I'd paced the first lap OK but realised at the end of the first lap that the PB wasn't on the cards. Mr Lulu had the same thoughts as he said he just went into survival mode on the second lap too. I had coach Kit standing on the downhill stretch giving me encouragement but sadly it wasn't enough.

The second lap I had the inner wimp saying that I should stop or walk or something but I told her to shut up and just kept plodding away. I was very relieved to reach the top of the hill and tried to pick up the pace again for the downhill stretch. Mr lulu was there at the last turn and ran with me for 5oom or so before pointing me towards the finish. I managed my customary sprint to the end.. just a shame I can't do it from a bit further back rather than the last 100m!

The stats
1 km Splits:5.35, 6.49, 5.19, 6.05, 6.03, 7.28, 5.47, 6.12, for a total of 48.50 , which is well outside my current PB of 47.08 so that will have to wait for another day.

Mr Lulu managed to run 36.32 and he's a bit disappointed too as he realises how much form he's lost having been off for so long with the torn calf. I'm sure he'll be back now he's training with Sean as well... not to mention having Don Juan to chase.

We've just walked over to Bondi and back for a massage and I feel pretty good now, and certainly don't feel as if I ran a race this morning. My legs didn't get fatigued but I certainly was puffing and panting.. and as Uncle Dave said, I didn't look too crash hot when I crossed the finish.. can't fault me for effort at least!

It was good to see everyone this morning and thanks for the encouragement Kit :)

5 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Well done Lulu on a good run under really tough conditions. It was really hot out there this morning. I'm sure this race will stand you in good stead for a flying 8km in Melbourne.

J.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Your a champion Lulu!!! You ran a gutsy run this morning, if you were struggling you did not show it! You have a great spirit and a great sense of humor! Keep up all your hard work and you will blitz it in Melbourne! All I can say is yeah you!! I was secretly thanking my sore hip I do not think that run will be top of my llist next year :)

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Great run Lulu! It sounds like it was a warm day down there so a 9.30am start must've been a killer.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Lulu, when we got back from our long run at 8am today, i commented on the heat then. You guys did so well just to get out there and run in that heat. That is determination.

TA

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger miners said...

Well done lulu - glad you enjoyed your run there, and pulled up well enough afterwards. Great to see the CRs pulling in more trophies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home