Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Swimming like my goldfish.. not!

I managed to get myself up and out of bed to go to a 6.30 Pilates class.. no wallowing today!
Followed this with a swim in the pool at the gym, that I hadn't tried yet. Very nice 25m pool, not crowded, (I had a lane to myself for some of my swim), and not too chlorinated.

Now I have to confess to being a truly terrible swimmer, even worse than my running :) When I arrived to live in Sydney I could manage a few laps of pommy tourist breast stroke ( that's where you keep you head out of the water.. very stylish!) . I had some swimming lessons a few years ago, so at least I can do freestyle now, but I have to be the slowest swimmer in Australia, surely. In an effort to improve my swimming I bought a recommended book, " Fitness Swimming" by Emmett Hines. Having bought the book and browsed through it, it sat on my bedside table for some months.. strange how that didn't seem to improve my swimming at all.

So today I decided to start a bit of work on the swimming, with the goal that I can swim 1km non-stop in under 30 mins by the end of summer (lets call that the end of Feb). Emmett the swim coach instructed me to do a time trial of 15 mins to establish a current cruise pace over 100metres. So I did 200 to warm up then started the watch to see how many laps I could swim in 15 mins. Not many is the answer managing 500 m's in 16.25. This gives me a 100 metre cruise pace of 3.17. According to coach Emmett this puts me in the "low" category for combined fitness and ability level.. how nice of you to say so coach! I think I'd already established that for myself :) Well at least I have something to measure my improvements against from here! The next session I will start working on some of the drills and see if I can improve my technique somewhat.

8 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Go Lulu go!! Good on you for setting yourself a difficult yet achieveable goal. That reminds me, about time I got back in the pool I think...

J.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Swimming ? Way to go Lulu ! Next thing you'll be doing those Tri thingys. Gronk ;)

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Good on you Lulu!!
I love the pool... it feels so nice on the legs. Just build up gradually and you will get there.
See you tommorow for 800's :)

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Louise said...

lol, it sounds like you swim like I do! Good luck with it - we'll be watching your progress. :-)

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger miners said...

so nice to see you joining myself and cirque in our training for ironman next year Lulu. Good on you for perservering with it - obviously your training book inspired you.

btw - don't you love coaches who call it like they see it?

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

For a first swim I think you did very well to swim 500m and who cares about the time. You go girl!

TA

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger silverfox said...

Lulu

Thanks firstly for your kind words on the blog, I do appreciate. I can relate to your swimming malaisse, I would say if only we could swim like we drink, however much like yourself, I am not much chop in that department either! Confronting and conquering is what it is all about, I think you may find 30 minutes is soft come Feb, even after a night on the champers!

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

El solo hecho de meterte al agua tan temprano ya es un logro!! Olvida lo que dijo el entrenador no estas ahi para competir con nadie que no seas tu misma, o si?? Me gusta tu sentido del humor, debes ser alguien muy bromista.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home