Friday, October 07, 2005

Hitting the red line!

Woke up and tentatively got out of bed to see what was aching... ah the joys of being a runner! Surprisingly, nothing was sore.. itb treatment appears to be warding off the evil spirits.

Mr Lulu and headed off to the park for the fartlek session and I was feeling a bit anxious for some reason.. not wanting to go too hard but also wanting to see if I could do as well as last week.

Started off at a reasonable pace and then we headed into the surges. I had some company this week with the lovely A running with us.. she was just behind me for the first few km's. When we hit the York Road hill I focused on keeping the knees high and trying to maintain some pace. When we neared the top A overtook me and Sean came back. He then tried to encourage me to fight back and so I did.. never a good idea to get my competitive spirit engaged as I can't resist a challenge.. so I sprinted to the top of the road and managed to hold A off... perhaps a little foolish as I reached the red line of my lung capacity and consequently had to walk for 100m despite Sean telling me to keep jogging, I just couldn't catch my breath. Took me a while to recover and so the next few surges were slower and A was ahead of me now until the end of the run! I did manage to pick up the pace a bit in the last few.

In the end we did 8.55km in 52.31 mins with an av speed of 6.08 which is a bit slower than last week and probably caused by the sprinting and then dying section. Comparing the splits from last week with this week I definitely died in the 6th km which I think is after the hill. Apart from that I didn't feel as if I worked quite as hard as last week although my time on the hills section is a little better.

Last week This Week
6.03 6.10
4.49 5.36
5.43 5.47
6.27 5.58
6.40 5.53
6.25 7.04 (can't breathe!)
5.41 6.05
6.18 6.19
5.33 6.40

5 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger miners said...

Sounds like you cooked the overhead cams getting to the top of that hill! Great work Lulu, and don't be disappointed that it might not have been as fast as your previous session. If you worked as hard as you did, then all up it may have been a more satisfying result.

Those sessions are doing great things to you :)

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Well done Lulu. Don't be disappointed; just think of the snowball effect :-)

J

PS A Lindt cafe visit should be worked into the program next week with the Owl when gets back. GG wants to come too!!!

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Hilda said...

Hola, Lulu. He leido tu blog esta semana, pero no entiendo que quiere decir itb. Ahora que te sientes mejor me alegra que estes superando esta molestia. Que bueno que tienes esta rapida capacidad de recuperacion!!!

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

That's top gear stuff, Lulu. Don't pop a gasket though :-)

sfG

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger CJ said...

Like the header Lulu! Don't get too down about the session - its all doing good! I recommend taking Jen's advice - a trip to Lindt cafe sounds like a very good idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home