Monday, November 07, 2005

Bush and Beach and lots of hills

While Mr Lulu headed off to the park to be tortured by Sean I went off to torture myself over some interesting hills.

The route goes down to the park and through the middle and then heads around Queens Park and down to Tamarama before heading back to Bronte beach and then up the hill to home. The first 5km has a few hills but nothing too serious and the first tough one goes around the side of Queens Park and up to Charing Cross. This is the first time I've ever run all the way up this hill so that's something at least. There's very little flat sections from that point on as it is up a hill, down some steps, up another hill, down a hill, up some steps and so on. Needless to say the average pace was somewhat slow but I wasn't worried about that as long as I kept on going. The only way I'm going to get better at hills is do it. The steps going up from Bronte beach finished me off and I had to have a quick 'standing recovery' before tackling the final ascent back home. I certainly felt as though I had done a good solid workout by the time I lurched along the final section.

Summary: Time: 1.11.23 , 10.61kms with an average pace of 6.43/km. I've been avoiding hills because it brings my average pace down which is silly really as I it would be good to improve my hill running, particularly as most races have at least one or two hills! I actually really enjoyed this run even though it was hard work; no one is more surprised than I am.

5 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Wow. What a great run Lulu. You more than made up for yesterday's aborted mission! Well done.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger 2P said...

Great run Lulu - it is always such an accomplishment when you can run up a particular hill for the first time - well done.

And don't worry about that average time thingee - it will even out because your flat ground pace will get faster because of all that hill work!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

That hill up Queens Park Road is a toughie for sure ! They don't make them much harder than that. Well done.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Sounds like great run to start the week Lulu! You are so lucky living where you do!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Hills are good training - it doesn't matter how long it takes you. You will get stronger and then you will fly up them. So make hills your friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home