Thursday, November 03, 2005

Swimming with chocolate tart....

...in my tummy.. yum :)

I had late night out on the town last night with the evil twin sister and so getting up at the crack of down to go the pool wasn't on the cards.

After lunch I met up with the CR gals Owl and Jen_runs, and Don Juan, for a perfect pick-me-up at the Lindt cafe. So much lovely chocolate to choose from we were all at a loss. In the end 4 chocolate tarts were ordered.. oh my goodness... a rich dark chocolate filling with a crispy dark chocolate top...oh er.. straight to the thighs..

I headed to the gym feeling suitably revitalised by the chocolate and conversation and hit the pool. I did a few warm up laps and then did about 800m of drills. I went and sat in the steam room for a while afterwards and felt heaps better for the combined chocolate, swim, steam therapy.

I did some glute strenthening and stretching and I'm going to give Friday Fartlek a go in the morning and see what happens.. hopefully the hip will be OK now I know how to look after it.

For CJ and Tesso the glute strengthening exercises as prescribed by Gerry the physio are:
1) Stand on on leg with the other leg raised to hip height, bent at the knee.. like high knees in running. Tighten glute and abs and hold this position for as long as possible - up to 5 mins. Repeat on other side. You'll quickly see which is the weaker glute by doing this.

2) Same but with the bent knee against an exercise ball which you then roll up and down against a wall.. sort of simulates running action with the other leg. As many repeats as you can manage.

3) Stand on step and with one leg hanging over the step do small dips with the other leg. Make sure the knee goes directly over the toes. Also strengthens the VMO I believe. Repeat on other side etc.

Hope they make sense..enjoy :)

5 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You've been a busy girl, Lulu! I like the idea of those exercises....everyone's glutes can do with a kick now & again! I'll try them tomorrow.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Thanks for that Lulu - but I'm still trying to figure out the swiss ball one. But willtry them tomorrow at the gym.

I think you've discovered the perfect training day - the 'combined chocolate, swim and steam therapy'. I'm suffering serious Lindt Cafe withdrawals and may have to find a reason to come to Sydney very, very soon!

Am I correct to assume that you will be coming to Canberra for the Half Ironman next month? (to spectate!)

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Sounds like a perfect day Lulu - I'm envious.

Good luck with your fartleking Friday.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger miners said...

chocolate - swim - steam.

You could write a training manual, I'm sure

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Yep, you make sense ... unfortunately :-)

They sound so tough, especially the 5 minute thing. Guess its something one could do while watching TV. And I've got a Fitball at home so no excuses for that one. Or the step one. Though I have no internal stairs so I guess the neighbours will be amused.

Thanks so much for that Lulu. We girls are gonna have glutes of steel!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home