Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Birthday 600s

It's Mr Lulu's birthday today and so after the card opening ceremony we headed down to the park for the SWEAT session. Today I had 5 x 600s with 2mins jog recovery and the others were doing 7 reps.

We did the normal drills and strides and then we were off. I felt strong for the first two and Sean was a bit worried I'd gone out too fast ( a relative term in my case!) and so was I after the first one :)

Reps were 3.07, 3.07, --, 3.13, 3.12, --3.11 Again these are a few seconds quicker than the last time I did them a month ago so I'm gradually whittling away at it.. At this rate by the time I'm 50 I should be able to run at a decent pace :) Mr Lulu is getting back into serious training and his times were very consistent and around 2.05 per rep I think.

I've decided a new mental attitude is needed to this running business. I'm someone who likes instant gratification and results and running is not really like that, well certainly not for me. Mr Lulu keeps telling me it takes years :( So, I'm making a concerted effort to be more relaxed about times, improving etc and just keep on putting the work in and eventually the results will show.. well they better had! I put too much pressure on myself to constantly show improvements and compare myself to everyone else and think they're all doing so much better than I am. Consequently I'm not enjoying the process very much. It's the same with the races I do. I don't do many and then expect to do a PB everytime and am disapointed if it doesn't happen. More races are now being put into my programme, just for the fun of it. Mr Lulu needs to do a couple of half's so he's thinking of doing the SMC races in December and Jan and so I'll go along and do the 10km races as well I think. I've already got the Sussan's Women's Classic in Melbourne on the 4th of December to work towards.

I certainly felt better doing this morning's session having adopted that frame of mind... I need some lessons from Zen Jen :)

Off to do an Int/Advanced Pilates at lunchtime to work out those abs. I haven't done an intermediate one for a few weeks so it should be fun.

9 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Happy birthday Steve.

I was told with tris that it is the third year it all comes together. I guess it makes sense that the body and mind need time to adjust to the training and discipline. Anyway well done on cutting a few seconds off the intervals. You are heading the right way :-).

TA

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Happy birthday Mr Lulu.

Good on you for adopting another mindset when it comes to your running. Did you read the article in the last R4YL by Susie Power! Each session is a little cog in a much larger snowball. Ok, so my analogy doesn't quite work but if you put in the hard work, the rewards will come :-)

Zen Jen :-)

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Jen said...

PS I just saw your post on the Owl's blog. I've got a 50mins easy run on the cards for this weekend. Fancy some more company ?

J

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hope Mr Lulu enjoyed his birthday!

Good session today, Lulu; it does take time to see improvement. It's encouraging, though, to know that you can always keep on improving...even this Chickybabe can do it!

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Happy birthday to Mr Lulu! Hope he had a great day! As for running, it has taken me a few years to get tot he level that I'm at (which is pretty average). In my first 10km I ran 57min - I now run a 10km in around 45min (that's 9 years). My first half marathon in 1997 I ran 1hr 57min, I now run them in about 1hr 40min. See, you've got plenty of time. Just don't compare yourself with other people - compare your times against previous times you've run.

Boy I ramble on sometimes.....

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

On the goals,
Seconds in the intervals equate into minutes off in a half marathon. Sean's training you for middle and long distance. A sprints program probably would have different exercises and won't help you're 3km + times as much. Not many of us are superstars at everything between 100m and a marathon.

On a solid training program I'll be stronger from the cumulative effect of several sessions and not peaking for any one session.

On the process, every run is good and gratifying (or will be), and it is an adventure to see where you'll end up.

Most people with Sean improve since he is a good coach. It is not a representative group for comparing your progress. That's the weekend warriors without a program.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Happy Birthday Mr Lulu!

Go you on the intervals! Great stuff :)

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Lulu!! That is a great way to look at your running. It is hard not to look at others and get frustrated... just compete with yourself. You have made HUGE gains in the short time you have been runnning and have such a great attitude and spirit. Once I decided to stop worrying about my times and others expectations ("you could run... blah blah") I then really enjoyed running and training and I saw improvements. If you enjoy your running the rest will happen! Feel pround of your achievments!!! Your a long way feom not being able to run a lap of the park without bringing up a lung :)
SO my advice is relax, enjoy the training and run for the enjoyment... pb's are just a nice little bonus :)

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger miners said...

A happy birthday to winetrail! Glad to hear you had a good run, a nice night out, and still managed an early run today too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home