Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Encouraging signs

So, last week was worse than the week before in terms of energy levels and having the will to train. I managed two good runs; one interval session and my tempo run and managed 2 gym sessions but at the weekend I could hardly be bothered to get out of bed let alone exercise. A combination of a very big couple of weeks of work and some dodgy hormones!

Anyway, onwards and upwards! I still have a twinging hamstring which Easy Tiger is trying to get under control but it gets very tight after any speed work. I may have to have a week or two of easier stuff to see if that helps. I'll see what he says when I see him tomorrow.

Today though, I felt human for the first time in weeks and headed out to do my intervals. I had 2 x 1km with a 400 metre rest period. I jogged over to my lovely new training ground which is the cricket oval on Bondi Road. It's a perfect 1.5km warm up there and a nice smooth oval for training.

A few drills and strides and then the first 1km = 5.22 which felt relatively easy! I certainly didn't feel sick or anything :) A 400 metre walk/jog and the second km in 5.16. Now, that did hurt a bit but again wasn't too bad. A cruisy jog home for a total of 6km. Very nice work Ms Lulu!

So despite a couple of dodgy weeks I seem to be doing OK. I've got 16 weeks until the Gold Coast marathon weekend so I'm putting together a programme to get me a sub 60 min PB. If that doesn't come off then I have the Noosa 10km as a fall back a month later. We're going to have a week or so in Noosa then too which will be lovely. In the meantime I have a couple of shorter races to do as follows: Sri Chimnoy 4km in Centennial Park on 29th March, and an 8km on the 10th of May. There's another 8km at the Bay 2 weeks before Gold Coast so I'll see how I feel and I might do that one too, if it's not too close to GC and I'm not carrying any niggles. Fingers crossed that this hamstring settles down; it's been hanging around since the end of last year and comes and goes. Even having a rest didn't really fix it so I'm just going to see if step up some additional strength and stretching if I can settle it down.

3 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Samurai Running said...

What is it with hamstrings and us 1964 models? I think we ought to seriously think about donating them to science in hopes of a cure for future generations when our days are over ;)

Great schedule and plan Lulu.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Sorry to hear that you haven't been 100% recently gorgeous. Hopefully that hammy settles down. I'm sure you'll blitz your goal for the GC!

xx

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

That's a lovely oval - great place to run.

Very speedy 1000s Lulu! If the niggles do the right thing I can't see anything stopping you from running a huge PB at the GC.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home