Tuesday, November 22, 2005

400s and 300s

SWEAT session this morning was hard work! I was feeling a bit tired but Mr Lulu dragged me down to the park.

The programme was up to 7 x400s and 4x300s. I did 5x400s and 3x300s and considering I was feeling a bit flat and unmotivated they weren't too bad.

Times were 2.03; 2.03; 2.03; 2.04; 2,02; 300s 1.36; 1.34; 1.30. At least they were going in the right direction and I wasn't really pushing myself too hard this morning.

One of the reasons I wasn't pushing myself was because I went to the physio yesterday. I've had a few niggles which, although aren't stopping me running, are becoming a bit of a concern.

After a few quick assessments and a comment along the lines of "you're a biomechanical wonder, It's a wonder you get out of bed in the morning let alone run" his diagnosis of my niggles was:
Patella tendinitis in the right knee, caused by weak muscles above the knee , vmo etc
Verging on splin shints; left tibia
Tight right glutes/hip , causing issues with itb and knee.

Sounds worse than it is as I hadn't even realised about the potential shin splints until he started poking around just above my ankle. I can now see that it is a bit swollen in that area but it doesn't bother me when I run. The knee has been an issue for a while and I've been pretending it's not really there. Again it doesn't hurt when I run, only afterwards.

I now have a heap of things to do to try and fix them and still keep running, although it looks like I'll be taking a little time off after my race in December.

Lots of strenthening of VMO and stretching of right glutes and hip. Lots of icing and stretching for left calf. Hopefully they're not going to get any worse in the next week or so.

10 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Gronk said...

Gee Lulu, that list will keep any Physio in business for weeks. Lets hope you can nip all those niggles in the bud real quick. :)

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger miners said...

lol - a biomechanical wonder indeed!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger CJ said...

I know how it feels lulu - especially the glute issue. In fact, I'm getting so fed up with mine (being tight and sore) that I'm thinking of going back to the physio.....again.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Can I buy shares in your physios business?

Just gotta keep it together till the race lulu :-)

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

I think 'biomechanical' is the favourite word of all physios. Mine keeps telling me about my biomechanical issues ... ho hum.

Anyway, those times you did this morning were pretty good. And I must say that's a lot of reps you did. I can't imagine doing that many let alone what was on the program.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

So did he put in an order for a new BMW while you were there? No wonder you have had a few niggles. Hold it together for the Sussan's run and then enjoy the break you are planning (mind you rest is hard work).

TA

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Dr DJ says relax there's not much you can do in the short run (boom-boom).

I think these symptoms: fatigue, swelling, weakness and coughing are all consistent with either biomechanics or the Bronte strain of bird-flu.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

hope your knee feels better soon!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Hi Lulu - I've been eating fudge, I guess that would count as chocolate. Obviously I need to eat more because its not working yet!!!!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Hey Lulu!!!
Nothing a bit of electrical tape wont fix!!! Seriously I hope they are all just niggles that a bit of rest will fix! I cant wait to see you guys again... hopefully next week! We are all paying for our physios kids to go to private school haha... I am earning frequent fliers!
Take it easy and I will see you soon :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home